Roon library lost (second time)

That’s your problem. You’ve to use a SSD:

M2 is really ok.

Can I double my M2 cards also for caching the NAS?

I don’t think, that’s a good idea.
But you can also use SSD on USB 3.2, which should be fast enough (I’m using this for backup of the roon database). The SSD must not be larger than 100 GB (currently my Roon database for 5 TB music files is using only 12 GB):

Ok just connected a 300GB USB 3.1 SSD. Sadly have to rebuild the entire database again which will takes days…

Any way/chance of getting the trial period extended to make up for the time of non-use?

thanks again

Probably not. It will take time but you may be surprised how much quicker the rebuild will be. If you haven’t already done this go into the Roon settings - Library - Background Audio Analysis Speed, you can set how many cores on the QNAP you use it will possibly be at the default “Throttled”.

Hi @J_S,

You do have quite a large library and an SSD is highly suggested to host the Roon database, I would try swapping the database location and see if that helps with the issues.

You’ll want to ensure you have the latest QNAP package version as I mentioned earlier, the new package should address this authorization issue:

I’ll follow up via private message :slight_smile:

I consider myself to have a large library at 250k tracks…you said you have 300k albums that’s is nothing going to run well on a nas based core for sure. Even with an ssd I’m guessing you are going to be taking weeks to import and analyze that amount of music.

Getting a trial extension is not out of the ordinary when you have had setup issues, you just have to ask.

Currently running the import for 11-12 hours and its slow indeed and I am running with 5/6 cores CPU.

JRIVER for example would be done already incl the audio analysis and I’ve also ran this on the NAS in a Docker Container.

Any thoughts on what I can do different. Also clicking on let’s say the ‘Overview’ page leaves a blank with the Roon logo, the rest of the menus options does give me a view. Trying to click on an artist from let’s say a playlist (e.g. from TIDAL) results in the blank screen with Roon logo

No, if you’ve a faster NAS (and the i5 with 16 GB RAM is fast enough) then there isn’t much difference to a NUC-based systems.
Scanning and analyzing on my system was finished (5GB) after one day and I’m also be able to use multiple zones together with upsampling to DSD256 (factor 3.3x) without dropouts or so…
Advantage from core installed on the NAS is, that you’ve also all music files there and don’t have to use a network interface…

This is not the case for must NAS models. More the exception than the rule.

Hence my first post with the specs, it is a fast NAS indeed

In my experience and I can only speak of that, if your trying to access or use Roon whilst it’s building such a large library using all your NAS cores some pages may be slow. It would be best to let this run until it’s complete. What percentage is your CPU running at? You could throttle back the cores you are using to see if the overview page responds and listen to some music.

Personally, for a trial period I would have split my library up into smaller Music Folders (1TB or so) and added one folder at a time in the Roon Storage section. This way you could have tested Roon to see if it met your needs instead of waiting on the library being built but it’s up to you. Roon contains masses of information and comparing it with other software is a bit pointless but I understand your frustration.

Hope you get on okay. The guys on this forum are very helpful. Roon is great piece of music software and I’m sure you’ll be very happy when it’s up and running.

Fast nas or not without an ssd for the roon database it’s not going to be great

1 Like

The split in music folders will not work as I have also JRiver running and I don’t want to hurt my existing setup. I want to compare also the library functions as this is key to me and also the ability to handle the size of it.

What I find so far is that Roon is non-responsive (whilst having enough memory, compute power and running on SSD) if I want to do anything besides building up my library. I cannot even access TIDAL tracks, the wait is just indefinite. I am holding my horses till it is fully done processing to see the final performance…

It’s a pain having to wait but the right thing to do. Pity about not being able to split your library but you don’t want to mess anything up with other software. My QNAP TS 473 runs my system perfectly. I can carry out multiple tasks with ease whilst listening to music without any dropouts or other problems. I know many people are changing to NUCs but for me and others on this forum with QNAPs it suits my needs better and easily does everything I want it to do. Hope you get on okay, it will be well worth it in the end. Fingers crossed

1 Like

Mmh, running JRiver (does it also scan the library online?) together with Roon (while analyzing) can be a problem.
I’m using on the NAS only Roon, some DLNA-Servers and LMS, which have access to my music library directly.
My thought: Take your time an wait until Roon has finished the scan. After that you can start comparing, using filters, dsps,…

1 Like

I have moved JRiver to another server so I it no longer on the NAS
I just ran it on the NAS prior to Roon to benchmark performance

Hi @J_S,

I would also agree with the other users, the original scan process does take quite a bit of resources, but if you don’t mind having the scan take longer and have more resources while this is going on, you can disable or throttle Background Audio Analysis under `Roon Settings -> Library and that should help a bit.

You are running a trial of Roon, then I suggest turning the Analysis OFF.

It is there to create volume leveling and to generate the nice looking waveform. Neither of which is much necessary to experiencing Roon. If you decide to stick with Roon then you can go through the whole analysis; when that is the case, i would suggest you turn it ON when you are not using the NAS (i.e. when you are sleeping) and then turn it OFF when you use it. It will take longer but it will be doing the analysis during the time you are not using the system.

Settings / Library (Background Audio Analysis Speed and On-Demand Audio Analysis Speed to OFF

You might experiment with turning On-Demand AA on, but, that will introduce a small delay as the analysis is performed.

We are now 24 hours further, quick update.

• Non responsive Roon server & core
  • When I login it lost my credentials (again)
  • No sign of any library
  • Killed the Roon server and started again
  • See same problems as mentioned above
  • Going through the log-files I found: /RoonDB2/RoonServer/Database/Core/b8333d8d9104454e95dcfba26e8e48e2/broker_2.db/000005.ldb: Input/output error
  • Rebooting the NAS in total