Roon library lost (second time)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Machine: QNAP TVS-872XT Firmware: 4.4.3.1354/ CPU i5-8400T CPU, 16GB, 65TB /Roon core 1.7 (build 571) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All netgear ORBI router and satellites, netgear PRO switches 1000/10000mbit network

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
DCS Bartók, Pioneer SC-LX87 and various Sonos devices

Description Of Issue

I am currently doing a trial with Roon to see if it works for me
The Roon library keeps resetting whilst building up. I have a large library 5TB in files and TIDAL integration. Whilst the library is building and I am trying to play files (either in catalogue or on TIDAL) the loading time is very long and searching is almost impossible. After a while I need to re-authenticate myself and the library holds no data and is building up again.

Would appreciate help as currently I am not convinced this product will work for me in my specific setting.

Thanks in advance

Hi @J_S,

Welcome to the forum! Are you using the latest Roon package for the QNAP? You will need to manually update the QNAP package version if you haven’t yet (this is different than the Roon build number):

When you first setup Roon, it will analyze each and every audio file for future volume leveling and to generate a waveform of the track. This is extremely cpu intensive. If you are just trialing Roon, then I suggest turning that off. Settings/Library Background Audio Analysis to OFF, On Demand Audio Analysis to off.

How many tracks do you have in your library. The hardware requirement can scale up.

I have 300.000 records

Do you’ve have installed the database for Roon on a SSD?
I’m using an older QNAP NAS, but with an i7 and 16 GB RAM and also about 5 GB music files.
This is working (also while Roon is analyzing) without problems:

Hi no SSD just yet, I have one lying around but just learned my QNAP only takes M2 cards as all my drive bays are full

Just stick your SSD in a USB enclosure and use that. I used to have it set up this way on my QNAP and it worked well. Got it on a M.2 drive now.

Let me try this as I have indeed a spare drive, what size would I need?

You have a rather large library. You may get away with a 120Gb but better with 240Gb.

That’s your problem. You’ve to use a SSD:

M2 is really ok.

Can I double my M2 cards also for caching the NAS?

I don’t think, that’s a good idea.
But you can also use SSD on USB 3.2, which should be fast enough (I’m using this for backup of the roon database). The SSD must not be larger than 100 GB (currently my Roon database for 5 TB music files is using only 12 GB):

Ok just connected a 300GB USB 3.1 SSD. Sadly have to rebuild the entire database again which will takes days…

Any way/chance of getting the trial period extended to make up for the time of non-use?

thanks again

Probably not. It will take time but you may be surprised how much quicker the rebuild will be. If you haven’t already done this go into the Roon settings - Library - Background Audio Analysis Speed, you can set how many cores on the QNAP you use it will possibly be at the default “Throttled”.

Hi @J_S,

You do have quite a large library and an SSD is highly suggested to host the Roon database, I would try swapping the database location and see if that helps with the issues.

You’ll want to ensure you have the latest QNAP package version as I mentioned earlier, the new package should address this authorization issue:

I’ll follow up via private message :slight_smile:

I consider myself to have a large library at 250k tracks…you said you have 300k albums that’s is nothing going to run well on a nas based core for sure. Even with an ssd I’m guessing you are going to be taking weeks to import and analyze that amount of music.

Getting a trial extension is not out of the ordinary when you have had setup issues, you just have to ask.

Currently running the import for 11-12 hours and its slow indeed and I am running with 5/6 cores CPU.

JRIVER for example would be done already incl the audio analysis and I’ve also ran this on the NAS in a Docker Container.

Any thoughts on what I can do different. Also clicking on let’s say the ‘Overview’ page leaves a blank with the Roon logo, the rest of the menus options does give me a view. Trying to click on an artist from let’s say a playlist (e.g. from TIDAL) results in the blank screen with Roon logo

No, if you’ve a faster NAS (and the i5 with 16 GB RAM is fast enough) then there isn’t much difference to a NUC-based systems.
Scanning and analyzing on my system was finished (5GB) after one day and I’m also be able to use multiple zones together with upsampling to DSD256 (factor 3.3x) without dropouts or so…
Advantage from core installed on the NAS is, that you’ve also all music files there and don’t have to use a network interface…

This is not the case for must NAS models. More the exception than the rule.

Hence my first post with the specs, it is a fast NAS indeed