Roon locking up, server still works

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, latest Roon

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All good

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

All good

Description Of Issue

Roon is stuck with a white screen - (Not Responding) - even after a reboot and reinstall.
Screenshot attached. Stuck for hours… Happily streams to Chromecast and android phone…

…Steve>>>

Hi @Chris_Hornby,
This is sometimes referred to as the “White Screen of Death”, typically it’s related to a Windows GPU driver update. I would recommend going to the GPU manufactures’ website (not Windows Update) and downloading / installing their latest driver.

K, installed Nvidia driver, and removed the DisplayLink adapter that the White Screen appeared on. Just moved the problem to another monitor, same problem…

Thanks,

…Steve>>>

Hello @Arsdivina, did you download these drivers from the manufacturer’s website? Have you rebooted since installing the drivers?

Yes, did both of those things. Actually, since I’ve had the problem I have upgraded all drivers, and installed the Windows 10 2014 major update - and newly flashed my bios…

Still WSoD…

Thanks for looking into it! Any chance to get a rev back install of Roon to see if that kicks the problem?

…Steve>>>

Hopefully this can be resolved soon - I have an AES meeting coming up where I am demonstrating Roon…

…Steve>>>

Hello @Arsdivina, could you please try installing the 32-bit version or Roon to see if that helps?

Will do! Will I lose any of my data?

…Steve>>>

K, 32 bit install didn’t work…

…Steve>>>

I have an Nvidia RTX2070 with latest drivers…

Solved! Collapse all screens down to one and run Roon. Never shut Roon down on a non main screen. Thanks!

I spoke too soon. When I went back to multiple monitors, the problem returned…

So, the workaround is to disconnect two external monitors in Windows, start Roon, then reconnect. Inconvenient, but doable. Looking forward to a true solution. Thank you!

…Steve>>>

Hello @Arsdivina, are you using any specific software to monitor your displays? We have seen similar issues in the past.

The problem happens on a USB connected DisplayLink adapter. The other three monitors are directly connected to the NVIDIA RTX 2070. I have to disable the USB and the third NVIDIA monitors, then Roon starts as usual. If either of the other monitors are active and desktop extensions, the white screen shows up with “not responding”.

Thanks,

…Steve>>>

I’m thinking of automating my Roon startup using https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multi_monitor_tool.html to disable then re-enable my extended monitors for now…

…Steve>>>

K, replacing a DisplayLink monitor graphics interface solved my problem. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.