Roon loses control of audio device

I too have had similar issues with my Weiss DAC2. I used to use the WASAPI driver, but I started experiencing a problem where if the bitrate changed between tracks, the DAC would change but the playback was either at the wrong speed or it would skip. See here:

I switched to using the ASIO driver, but currently I am experiencing the same problem as the OP - half way through a track, the playback will stop and I get the error message “transport: roon lost control of the audio device”.

I tried to sort the WASAPI issue via PM with @Eric and @vova including by sending log files. The comment that I received was:

Based on their analysis of your logs it “sounds” like the DAC is telling Roon that it’s done switching sample rates before it’s really done, which causes it to pull audio at the “wrong” rate. This can cause audio to be dropped, or audio to play too fast depending on whether the audio buffer is draining too quickly and running out, or filling too quickly and overflowing. We’ve seen this sort of issue with a few other pieces of hardware in the past, and it’s almost always a problem with the driver.

A couple of things like trying the resync delay were tried, but no help. I also tried reinstalling Windows, Roon and the Weiss Firewire driver, but same problem. I tried using different software (HQplayer) and again same problem.

I just went back to try the WASAPI again after a few weeks, and same problem. I either get the message “An audio file is loading slowly. This may indicate a performance or hardware problem” with no playback, or the playback constantly skips. If it is the skipping problem, pausing the track for a few seconds and then restarting fixes the problem for that particular track.

A temporary workaround has been to enable DSP and to upsample everything to the DAC’s max sample rate, so that no sample rate switching has to occur on the DAC - but then I also get the “an audio file is loading slowly” problem, though a few tracks can play before this comes up.

OP (or anyone else), if you can suggest any things for me to try I would be most grateful. Really keen to get this problem sorted!