Roon losing connection more and more

I always seem to have issues with my Roon connection, though lately it’s been cronic.
Previously when I lose the connection I can re-boot my Nucleus + and Roon comes back after about 10 minutes.
For the past few weeks though this doesn’t work.

I have Roon installed on my Mac Mini, Macbook Pro, Ipad and Iphone and the connection goes on all devices at the same time.

Netgear Nighthawk AX12 router

At 12.35PM Saturday 1th July Melbourne Australian time, Roon has come back and I’ve just copied the logs from my Nucleus +. Dropbox - Paul_Elliott.zip - Simplify your life

Aprox 12.45 I’ve lost Roon again on all devices

12.50 re-booted Nucleus 12.56 Roon is back on all devices 12.57 the track i was playing suddenly stopped, clicked on play and it started again

Around 12.20PM Sunday 18th Lost connection on all devices, 12.25 re-booted Nucleus aprox 15 minutes later Roon is back

Hello @Paul_Elliott,

Thanks for getting in touch and letting us know of the issue you ran into - I’m sorry it’s been going on for this long and that it’s only getting worse.

I’m looping in our technical team, but, while they get a chance to take a closer look at your logs, could you please share some details about your setup (devices and particularly how they are connected) and your network.

Thanks in advance :pray:

Hi @beka ,

Thanks for getting back to me, I have a Nucleus + connected through ethernet, a mac mini, Ipad and Iphone that I use to connect to Roon.
My amp is a Naim Atom
Netgear Nighthawk AX12 router

Hi @Paul_Elliott ,

Thanks for sending those logs over!

I took a look over them and this is strange, your Nucleus appears to attempt to extract this file and then reboot:

/Music_OYEN_MiniPro_E31_WD-WCAS24638356_59CC-EE6F-p2/muzak/1974. Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like A Wheel (2013) [24-192]/06. When Will I Be Loved.flac

Can you please move this file out of your music location and verify if it helps with the issues? Please do not delete the file, if it is causing issues I will kindly request it for QA purposes.

Thanks!

Hi Norris,

I’m really sorry but I didn’t read your instructions correctly.

I removed the complete album through Roon on my mac mini and when I looked at my music files on the Oyen drive the artwork for the album was in a folder with the aforementioned Linda Ronstadt music file which I deleted.

Is there anyway that I can restore the deleted file if you need it?

Best regards

Paul

Hi @Paul_Elliott ,

Did removing that FLAC file resolves the issue on your end? Has the Nucleus stopped losing the connection?

The file is not still in your Mac trash per chance?

No, but i found it on a backup of my music files. So far Roon’s been rock solid over the past 20 hours or so :slight_smile:

I’ve lost connection connection again 12.45PM, I don’t know what time it went though.
For the past 24 hours or so I’ve been backing up the music files on my Nucleus using Carbon copy cloner. Would that effect Roon?
I can’t re-boot the Nucleus as that will stop the backup.

I haven’t been able to access Roon all day, it seems to stuck on initialising.

Hi @Paul_Elliott ,

Can you please try to reboot the Nucleus and perform an OS reinstall via the Web UI?

Do you only notice the issue when running Carbon Cloner for extended periods of time on the Nucleus?

No the issue is there at other times too.

I don’t want to stop the backup as it’s been running 46 hours and it’s not halfway yet.

I can try reinstalling Roon after my backup completes.

One point is that I’m unable to connect with Roon on other devices Iphone, Ipad and Macbook as well as my Mac Mini. Is the operating system part of the Nucleus and do I need to restore a database backup?

The backup has taken 46 hours so far and is only halfway through! How many Petabytes are you backing up?

I’ve got about 12 TB’s of music, I’m using Carbon Copy Cloner which seems too slow.

Hi Norris,

Before I reinstall the OS I’ve been checking the files in my Nucleus+, if you look at the screen shot you can see doubles of music files and data.
Do you mind looking at them and advising me how to deal with them.
I was considering deleting the folders doubled up folders but I’m frighted of deleting the wrong ones.

Hello @Paul_Elliott ,

Thank you for the screenshot, it looks like the Roon folder you have highlighted is part of your Nucleus flash drive, have you also been using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the contents of your entire Nucleus?

It is not suggested that you use a 3rd party program to copy the “live” Roon database, but rather use the backup feature from within Roon to do so.

I would advise disconnecting the USB from the Nucleus, connecting it to a PC, and removing the RoonServer and RoonOS folders from the flash drive.

Thanks, I’ve done that. I’m also having trouble copying new music to an external drive connected to my Nucleus, I get the interminable beach ball and nothing copies. I’ll try another drive and see what happens. Also can you tell me after I reinstall the Roon operating system on my Nucleus, does it need to reindex my files or is it painless?

Hi Norris,

Re the issue of the Beachball Of Death, I noticed that when I access my music library attached to my Nucleus+ and I can see all the music folders the finder on my Mac becomes totally unusable. I’ve replicated this issue on my Mac laptop too. If I don’t open the Music folder on the drive I can add albums by dropping them on top of the folder. Is the reason for this problem because of the large amount of tracks I have (633680) and the Nucleus+ has reached it’s limit? I haven’t reinstalled the OS yet, is there a possibility that doing that could solve the problem?

1 Like

Hi @Paul_Elliott ,

A reinstall of the OS doesn’t hurt to try, and it shouldn’t erase the database (although it’s always good to have a backup first), but it may not help if the issue is elsewhere.

This is indeed a fairly large library size, so it would be a good test to confirm if the same issue occurs with this variable out of the way.

Please try the OS reinstall I mentioned above first, and if that does not help, we can try to temporarily set your current library aside to see if the issue still reproduces, I have left instructions below on how you can perform this:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 21 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.