Roon losing connection to Tidal & Qobuz

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Late 2018 Mac mini i7 w/ 32 gb ram. Catalina 10.15.5 - 5ghz wifi line of site about 15 feet away.

Linksys EA9500 router connected to FIOS Quantum Verizon modem gigabit internet 940/880gbps.
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos Amp & Sonos Connect to Cambridge Audio DACMagic to McIntosh MC2120

Roon loses control of audio devices. This happens during playback and not with any discernible consistency. Most playback is after business hours when the computer I’m using as my core is not being used. However, even when using Roon during work hours, sometimes it works fine and other times it does not, and doesn’t appear to have any correlation with computer activity.

TEXT GOES HERE

Is the Mac mini wired or wireless?

5ghz wifi to linksys router - line of sight with no obstructions to router 15 feet away from computer

Hello @Josh_Eisen, when this issue occurs next, can you post a screenshot of an internet speed test at the time? I’d also recommend switching to Google or Cloudflare DNS to see if the connection is smoother.

Hi Nurwriy,

I switched to google DNS and the same thing keeps happening - Roon loses connection with Qobuz and Tidal. As a test, I’ve been streaming directly from Qobuz directly on the same computer as my Roon Core. It has been playing all day without a problem. I stopped it to listen through Roon and Roon played for a while and then dropped the connection with both services. I had to reconnect them and start all over. Very frustrating.

I also ran MemTest86 to give my RAM and physical components of the Mac mini late 2018 a rigorous test. I ran it twice and had zero errors both times. So we can rule out a bad ram module or physical computer issues I think.

Please advise asap!

Thanks,

Josh

Hello @Josh_Eisen, thanks for testing that. For the next step, let’s keep taking a look at the network:

1. Have you tried temporarily disabling firewall/antivirus?
  2. Are you using a VPN?
  3. Can you try connecting the mac directly to the router via Ethernet? If not, can we set up a hotspot and connect the mac to that?

The Disconnect VPN may be the issue with interruptions. Is there a VPN software that works with Roon? Tidal and Qobuz operate without issue with the VPN on. The core is also my business computer and I prefer the security of using a VPN.

Please also direct me to guidance on how to better use support - I want to make it as easy for you guys and not make a hash of it.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.