Roon losing device drivers

As andybob suggested, I did replace the Realtek drivers with the Microsoft HD driver - that did not change things.

Specific steps were:

1. Shutdown Roon and remove the “RAATServer/settings” directory to get rid of any residual Realtek devices.
  2. Reboot after installing the Microsoft HD drivers and restart Roon -> the devices were present as expected,
  3. Enable the devices I needed and shutdown Roon to test and see if the issue would reoccur upon restart.
  4. Restart Roon and the issue reoccurred (no local devices found), meaning it was not the Realtek drivers.

Next steps;
andybob’s advice to reinstall drivers lead me to see what else could be causing it. The only driver I have that’s probably not commonly used in our community is DTS Play-Fi from https://playfi.com/apps/windows/.

[Update- I left out a chunk of the story]: I removed the play-fi device from the RAATServer/settings directory and restarted Roon - the issue went away - all of the devices were present.

Then to see if that may be causing the issue, I enabled the Play-FI device, shutdown and restarted Roon only to find that all devices were still present; I repeated the shutdown/startup sequence several times without any problems (all devices present)… I also used Play-Fi, by selecting as a zone and sending music to the Play-FI speakers, shut down and restarted Roon and went right back to playing music on the same speakers - no issues with other devices either.

Bottom Line: Enabling and using Play-Fi does not seem to cause the issue, but when the issue occurs, removing Play-Fi from “RAATServer/settings/” does seem to correct it. I will have to verify this when it occurs again.

I know Roon is not intended to be compatible with Play-Fi, we had that discussion sometime ago - I just hope they can live together - Having Roon send to Play-FI speakers is a major benefit to me…

My thanks to everyone for their help getting to this point. Let me know if there is something else I should be checking.

-Steve

1 Like