Roon lost connection to streamer and sound system

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac Catalina. Do not know what a Roon builder number is but installed yesterday.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Wifi and Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn ethernet

Description Of Issue

Roon connected with both streamer and sound system fine on first day (yesterday) but now has lost connection with both. Any suggestions?

Hello @Stephen_Bunting, I have some suggestions for you to try, could you please:

1. Reboot your core machine
  2. Are your devices showing up under “Settings>Audio”? You can find a screenshot of this here.
  3. Lastly, could you please try playing directly through system output and let me know if that’s successful?
1 Like

Rebooted - already had. It does show my streamer but not always. Also a seems to prefer to play through my iMac which is my Core. Can you set up the Core so it does not playback. For some reason it likes to play through the computer.
The streamer works sometimes but not always.

I don’t have any music on the iMac - it was all available via my QNAP. Outside of that I use Tidal Hifi.

Also I have lost track of my QNAP Nas drive with all photos and music. I think the latter is not connected to Roon though.

Hello @Stephen_Bunting, thanks for the info! Can you clarify a few things about the issue for me?

1. What router are you using? Do you have a model number?
  2. How are your devices connected to the Router? What’s on WiFi and what’ Ethernet?
  3. Do you have any network devices between the Router and these devices, like a switch?

You also mentioned losing track of your NAS, do you mean in Roon or you lost visibility on it in general?

Thanks for your response.

1. Router is Microtik Router Board (not Netgear as I had thought).

2. Other devices:
    iMac: connected via ethernet via electrical socket and wifi.
    Linn Streamer: connected via ethernet to switch connected to router.
    NAS: connected via ethernet via switch connected to router.

3. If by a switch you mean a junction with multiple ethernet connections but connected via ethernet to the router, yes I have a switch.

I have Roon on but it is unable to connect to my streamer this evening. Since I have taken on Roon I have lost routine contact with my music. Given NAS drive issues I have been using just Tidal with Roon but am unable to access Tidal either this evening. I am sure after about 20 minutes or so it might work but no sign so far. It seems to require a lot of time to try to get the connections and does not always work.

Finally:
NAS: lost contact with Core (iMac). I blame the software upgrade Catalina. The NAS worked perfectly on Mojave. Now not able to locate the NAS via Roon. Also I wanted to know I can have the Core but minus the ability to provide sound output. |s that doable?

Thanks for the information @Stephen_Bunting, do you know if the switch or the router are managed? I’d like to know the model number if each if you have them handy.

You mentioned losing connection to the streamer and the NAS intermittently, do you lose connection to both at the same time when this happens? Or do they disconnect separately?

You can disable any zones you don’t want to use under Settings > Audio

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.