"Roon Lost Control of Audio Device" - After Grouping

Same problem here. I had grouped two zones, Press pause then got the same error message when pressing play again. Not impressed :frowning:

I’ve read your network guide. I should add this is a recently occurring problem. I’ve not changed my configuration in any way

You might want to describe what your configuration is as an aid to diagnosis by the support team?

Where should I copy/paste the info you need?

Either here, or probably better still, make a new Support topic. The latter will automatically bring up a template where you can fill in the details of your configuration.

Hi @Terry_Siederer,

I have split your post into it’s own thread so that I can better assist you here. Can you please let me know the following info?

1. What is your Core model/manufacturer?

2. What is your network setup like? Please list model/manufacturer for all your networking gear in use.

3. What audio devices are you using in the setup and what devices are you trying to group?

4. How are these devices being grouped? Are they all Roon Ready endpoints or connected via USB, Airplay, HDMI, ect?

5. How often are you seeing this message? Is it every time you try to group them or does it sometimes work?

Hi,
Please advise me if I’ve not understood your questions correctly:

1. The Roon Core is running on my Mac with High Sierra 10.13.6
  2. The Router is a D-Link DIR-880L. The Mac and all four Linn DSs are connected via LAN cables. Three audio devices go through a dumb network switch.
  3. Sneaky DS (2 devices), Majik DS-1, Klimax Renew DS and Klimax Kontrol. All with latest software.
  4. Roon ready
  5. Seems to occur only when grouping two or more devices, and starting play again. I can be more specific the next time it happens.

Hi @Terry_Siederer,

Thanks for letting me know the answers to those questions, yes they were correctly understood. I would like to dive even deeper here based on your responses:

1. Does this behavior occur for any non-Linn zones or is the behavior limited to just Linn?
  2. Does this issue occur with all types of content or is it specific to pausing/un-pausing one type of content (Local/Streaming or Low-resolution/high-resolution)?
  3. How are you pausing these zones, are you using Roon or are you using a Linn IR remote?
  4. Can you let me know the exact local time + date in your country when this behavior next occurs? E.g. 12:28PM on 7/29/19? I would like to start tracking timestamps in case we need to move on to log analysis down the line.
  1. I only have Linn zones.
  2. Only low-resolution CD’s so far.
  3. Using Roon Remote on my ipad.
  4. Absolutely. Unless you can see anything from just before I started this thread?

Hi @Terry_Siederer,

Thank you for confirming. I have enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active a log set will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I will take a look to see if there is anything immediately before you made your post, but it would be very helpful if you can let me know the exact time + date when this issue next occurs as for better analysis of the issue. Can you please let me know this info when possible?

Absolutely! Thanks for the help. Regards, Terry

1 Like

Hi @Terry_Siederer,

I have looked through the logs and I do notice the abnormal behavior occurring right before your message, but it is not clear what triggered it. I just want to confirm a few additional aspects:

1. Is this behavior consistent when you are grouping Linn zones? Does it sometimes work and sometime not work or does it always not work?

2. Does this issue only happen when grouping a specific set of the Linn devices? For example, I noticed that you were grouping Linn Majik DS-I + Linn Sneaky Music DS in the logs, does this occur when grouping two Sneaky DS or Sneaky + Klimax?

3. Do you experience any issues when the Linn zones are not grouped? Any playback failures or failure to switch to next tracks?

4. Are you Linn devices up to date on the newest firmware?

1. Yes, it occurs when grouping, not often but often enough for me to send in the question :slight_smile:
  2. Not noticed any particular combination of devices.
  3. No. Sometimes however when starting up Roon from my iPad (with no devices grouped) it takes a while to connect.
  4. Yes. It seems Linn haven’t released any updates for a while.

Hi @Terry_Siederer,

Thanks for letting me know this information. I have discussed your case with our hardware team and we plan to schedule some testing with our in-house Linn zones to see if we can reproduce the behavior you are describing. I will be sure to let you know the outcome of this testing and thanks in advance for your patience here!

I’m really impressed that you are doing so much to find the fault. I will try and see if I can force the problem to happen again and then let you know.

14:31 CET 04 August
All 4 zones were grouped then I ungrouped one zone.
Everything stopped and I got the error message.

1 Like

Hi @Terry_Siederer,

Thanks for letting me know that additional timestamp. I can confirm that the logs have been received and added to your case notes. At this point, I think it’s best that we wait for the hardware team to take a look at the in-house Linn zones, and I will let you know as soon as that occurs. Thanks!

Any news yet?

Hi @Terry_Siederer,

I have discussed your case with our hardware team again, but they have unfortunately been unable to reproduce the behavior you’re describing in the lab. Is there any specific set of steps that you are using that reliably reproduces this issue or does it seem to randomly occur?

I just reproduced it three times whilst playing one track and repeatedly ungrouping one device. Don’t think it mattered which one. Can you see anything in the log? Should grouping affect the display function?