Roon lost control of audio device KEF LS50W

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Lenovo laptop L4 (Win10 pro / i7 16Gb 64 / Roon build 710 64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TP-Link OnHub, joined to KEF speakers with ethernet cable and by wifi to laptop

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Kef LS50W speakers, connected by wire to TP-Link

Description Of Issue

I just switched the Roon core from an aging Surface Pro4 to this new laptop with same network setup.

I was having periodical connection issue with Surface Pro, same “Roon lost control of audio device”, which I would fix by restarting Roon, and/or the speakers and/or turning the TP-Link off and back on, not always successfully.

I was hoping the problem was because of old Surface Pro but no such luck: I haven’t been able to run Roon from new Lenovo at all yet: I get the “Roon lost control…” every way I tried: playing music from Tidal, or from music stored in Lenovo.
I tried resetting the KEF, no progress.
The speakers show up on Roon, and are turned on when starting a new song, but just don’t play.
The speakers work normally with the KEF app on tablet and phone using the same wifi network.

Help! Thanks,
Bernard

Hello @Bernard_Rene, is your core connected via Ethernet? Do you have any issue streaming outside of Roon to this device?

Hi @nuwriy , the laptop is wired with ethernet to the access point. The speakers are connected wirelessly to the same access point and its KEF app on my phone works normally.
Something else strange is that the Roon remote app cannot connect to the core, in neither my phone nor a tablet, though all are connected to same network (access point)

I figured it out: it was the public firewall. Not the private one, which I had thought to turn off, but the public one, which I don’t understand. But I’m all set.

But if someone knows how to put an exception for Roon in the MS Defender firewall so that I can turn it back on while letting Roon play, I’d appreciate it.

Hello @Bernard_Rene, you’ll want to make program-level exceptions for both Roon and RAAT.

Got it, thank you! (Maybe put that in installation instructions?)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.