Roon lost control of audio devices - Sonos

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 OS Build 17763.557
Roon Version 1.6 (build 416) stable (64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit Internet Service (Xfinity)
Netgear CM1000 Cable Modem
Netgear Orbi RBR50 with one satellite (firmware: V2.3.1.60)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos:
Play:3 (two of them set as a stereo pair)
Connect (driving home audio system for remote audio playback of personal library and audio services such as Tidal, et. AL)

Sonos Play:3 & Sonos Connect wirelessly linked to network

Description Of Issue

Until recently, my setup was working without issue. When I play music via Roon to the System Output (my desktop PC, where the Core is installed), I have no issues. When I play music through the Sonos zones (one for the Play:3’s and another for the main audio system via the Connect), the music will play for a few seconds, then stutter and finally stop. I will then get the “Roon lost control of audio devices” popup message.

I have tried resetting the wifi network and restarting each of the Sonos devices. I would reboot the Roon Core but I don’t know how to do that.

Note that I can play music through the Sonos system directly without issue using the native Sonos app.

The Roon Core is connected to the network via my desktop PC. The PC is connected to the router via direct Ethernet connection. There have been no recent updates (to my knowledge) to my network firmware. I believe that Sonos recently did a system update.

Is there a way to resolve this?

If your PC is running Roon or RoonServer and acting as a Core, then rebooting the PC would be re-booting the Roon Core.

Rebooting the PC didn’t help solve the issue, but I did a “Disconnect” and reconnect from the Settings --> General menu. That seemed to solve the problem.

Hi @Stanley_Anderson,

Thanks for reaching out to us here and glad to hear that the issue was resolved by disconnecting and re-connecting to the Core!

If this issue occurs again, I would try rebooting the network as well, and double check to make sure that you have Disable IGMP Proxying unchecked in your router settings as per our Networking Best Practices.

I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as [Solved] but if the issue comes back again do feel free to reach out to us once more.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.