Roon "lost control of the audio device (iPad)

All of a sudden for the past couple of weeks, I can’t get through 2 minutes of a song without receiving an error stating, “Roon lost control of the audio device.” I use a Spectrum modem and router. Spectrum replaced my router, but I continue to receive the same error. Sometimes I hear what sounds like static coming through my speakers, right before the error pops up and the music stops. I’ve tried resetting my Antipodes S40 music server and my Chord English Electric 8 Switch. How do I correct the issue, because I can’t listen to music?

Richard, at this point this sounds like a network issue, specifically around the WiFi serving your iPad. Depending on where you live, certain channels in WiFi may become crowded due to the neighborhood and other factors.

Can you please provide any additional information on your WiFi network? Do you, or can you, separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands using the Spectrum router? Is the iPad far away from router, or does Charter provide a mesh option? I’m assuming the Antipodes is connected via Ethernet cable directly to the Spectrum router?

1 Like

Robert,

Thanks so much for trying to assist me.

Do you, or can you, separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands using the Spectrum router? Yes, there is are separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

Is the iPad far away from router, or does Charter provide a mesh option? I’ve recently started having this problem. The iPad and modem/router are in the same room. About 15’ apart.

I’m assuming the Antipodes is connected via Ethernet cable directly to the Spectrum router? The Antipodes is connected to a Chord EE8 Switch and the switch is connected to my router.

Could the switch be going bad? Should I replace my router/modem with something else? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks again for any assistance that you can provide.

Thanks Richard, this is helpful. Yes, based the information you provided, the hosting the Roon Core is connected via Ethernet cable directly to the Spectrum router. I am going to focus on the WiFi, even though everyting seems to be close to each other which again is helpful.

I have a three-band router, one 2.4 GHz band and two 5 GHz bands. Unless the device that is connecting to my network has only one band, I prioritize my important traffic to the 5 GHz bands and leave the 2.4 band to lower priority connections. Do you know which band your iPad is using to connect? Also, how many devices are connected in total to your router? Service provider-provided routers tend to be on the lower end of specifications and sometimes ban be overwhelmed with connections and traffic.

I have some ideas on different routers but first want to better understand your overall network and see if we can isolate what you are experiencing.

Do you know which band your iPad is using to connect? Spectrum said it’s connected to the 2.4 GHz band. They said, I don’t have the ability to choose which band is used with what device with this router.

Also, how many devices are connected in total to your router? I have 8 devices connected to it. 3 ROKU devices, laptop, xbox, iPad, my alarm, Solar Panels.

I just don’t know what to do?

Does anyone have suggestions that may help?

Richard, Roon support is off over the weekend, hopefully they will also look at this and potentially view your logs. All signs point to a network issue. The 2.4 GHz band is extremely crowded, and also has lower bandwidth capacity than the 5 GHz band. You don’t have many devices on teh network, but if they are all tending to use the 2.4 GHz band, the network performance may be impacted.

Roon requires a fairly strong network to ensure low latency when synchronizing endpoints, so the more bandwidth it has available to it, the better Roon performs. Is there an opportunity to call Charter and ask them if it is possible to force a device to connect to the 5 GHz band?

Can anyone from Roon support assist me? I continue to receive error messages, “Roon lost control of the audio device”. While I was listening to music today, after a couple of songs played, all I could hear was “white noise” coming through my speakers and no music. I quickly stop the music on my iPad, turn the volume down, hit play and it returns to normal. Have you ever heard of this problem? Any ideas on how to correct it? Is it a WIFI issue, S30/S40 issue, or problem with Roon. I’m literally afraid to listen to music, because I’m afraid of damaging my speakers. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Richard, sorry to hear you are still having issues. I am tagging @support.

Were you able to discuss with Charter on enabling/forcing the 5 GHz band for your iPad on the Spectrum router?

I did talk to Spectrum. Per Spectrum, despite having their fastest service, their latest router isn’t capable of allowing the user to select the band. I’m willing to purchase a Netgear router, but I want to make sure the router is the issue. Can anyone recommend a very good router?

Robert, thanks so much for your willingness to help me!

I believe all the major brands are good and perform well. I prefer ASUS because of its no-cost security features and that any of their routers can be converted or integrated into its Ai mesh platform, but Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, they are all good. Just make sure you can configure separate WiFi bands if you want to do that.

1 Like

Could my USB cable be causing the problem?

Possibly, could be an easy thing to check/replace.

@Robert_F,

Agreeed on ASUS. They have a great mesh system if needed and the security options are unparalleled.

@Richard_DeHonnry,

I had issues with my modem/router combo (Xfinity) that resulted in drops, devices disappearing, and performance issues in general.

One of the things that I am seeing is that despite you having the two bands if you can’t connect to your preferred band by SSID (Broadcasting name), it’s not truly separated. It’s also possible that it’s just a matter of using your router’s interface to name the 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs differently. Say for instance your SSID is DeHonnry. Name the 2.4 “DeHonnry 2.4” and the 5 “Dehonnry 5ghz”. Doing this will allow for better network management. If you don’t have the option of making this change it may be necessary to disable smart connect which is the verbiage a lot of routers use. Here’s what Negear says:

Smart Connect is a feature that combines your NETGEAR router’s WiFi bands into a single WiFi network name (SSID)

Try this if you would and make sure any Roon audio devices using Wifi are using the 5 GHz band. As you mentioned you might check your cables too.

Please let me know. I’ll be in office this week and am happy to help you further.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like