“Roon lost control of the audio device” Oppo 203

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon Core is running on an iMac 5K late 2015, latest MacOS version.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Network is a Netgear X6 R8000. iMac (Roon Core) is connected directly via Ethernet; One of the Oppos is connected to the router via Ethernet and the other via Ethernet to a TP Link TL-SG1008 unmanaged gigabit switch and from there to the router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Both Oppo 203s are connected via HDMI - in the main room, where this has been observed most often, to a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 and in the other room to an Arcam AVR390.

Description Of Issue
Hi,
I get an error message as per thread title >50% of the time when starting playback via my Oppo 203. I actually have 2 Oppo 203s in different rooms and I’ve seen this on both, but I think on one more than the other (or it could just be that I use one a lot more than the other).

The issue seems to occur only when first starting playback at the beginning of any listening session. Browsing and beginning playback thereafter doesn’t exhibit any problems. It happens on both locally stored files and streamed via Tidal. When the problem occurs, the playback stops and the error message is displayed, but I can hit play again straight away and then playback resumes with no further issues.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Turner,

Do you experience this behavior when playing to any other Zones, or just the Oppo devices?

When this occurs, were you previously playing to these Zones from a different source other than Roon?

Hi, thanks for the reply. In other zones I have Sonos speakers. To be honest we’ve not had Roon all that long and we don’t play in the other zones very often. We’ve not noticed the issue elsewhere, but I don’t think we’ve used Roon with the other zones enough to be able to factor that in.

In the Oppo 203 zones, the issue has occurred both when switching from other sources and when going straight to Roon. Unless you mean other sources via the 203 itself, in which case I’m not sure and would have to experiment with that - the issue has been observed when switching the 203 on and going straight for streaming via Roon.

Thanks.

High Daniel,

Do you have the Screensaver enabled on the Oppo’s?
In my case (Oppo 205) it shows exactly the same behaviour when the Oppo is in the Screensaver mode and gets a trigger to stop the Screensaver. The Playback stops with the same Message.
When I First make sure that the Screensaver is deactivated, Roon keeps streaming without Amy hickups.

Thanks Frank, that sounds like it’s worth checking out. I’ve just started a work trip away for a week, but will check that out when I’m back next weekend.

Cheers
Dan

Hi @Daniel_Turner,

I would also double check to make sure that the Oppos are using the newest firmware version available, in case there are any updates in that regard.

Hi Noris,

Thank you, I can confirm that they are.

Cheers
Dan

2 posts were split to a new topic: Oppo 203 “Lost Control of Audio Device” Error

Hi @Daniel_Turner,

Thanks for confirming that the Oppo’s are up to date. Next I would like to take a look at the following aspects:

1. Can you confirm if you are using the newest firmware version on your router?

2. Since your router is a Netgear router, can you please make sure that “Enable Multicast Routing” is set to on in the router settings?

3. When this issue occurs, are the Oppo’s previously on another input or are they still on the respective Roon inputs?

4. Can you verify the screensaver settings as per @Frank_Nickel’s suggestion?

Thanks!

Hi Noris,

Thanks, I will check all those things over the weekend.

Cheers
Dan

1 Like

Hi Noris,

1. The router did have an update available, and I’ve done that.

2. I couldn’t find an option to ‘enable multicast routing’ anywhere in the settings, and although I could find references to it by googling, i could only find it in relation to Netgear managed switches, not Netgear routers (and my tplink switches are unmanaged). Not being an expert I thought that the description of VLAN sounded a bit like the description of multicast routing, so i tried enabling that and completely lost all connectivity to my router, so ended up factory resetting it into the bargain. :slight_smile:

3. I will definitely have been starting Roon playback, from both a situation where Roon streaming was the last input and where the Blu-ray Disc player was the last input, and I had never noticed a pattern relating to the issue at hand. Obviously it is only to be expected that the last thing an Oppo user was using it for could be any of the available inputs. That said i get that it’s worth trying as a trouble shooting step. I experimented today with both Roon being the last input used and the Blu-ray player being the last thing used, both switched off and left switched on in between, then starting Roon playback - no issues in either case today.

4. I switched off the screen saver on one of my Oppos and left it switched on on the other, and I’ve used both today. No issues on either. I even tried the combination of letting the screen saver kick in when the last input used was the blu-ray player, then starting Roon playback, and there was no issue.

I’ll keep an eye on things, and if it happens again then I’ll try to note anything potentially significant about the circumstances.

Thanks for the help.

Edit - I’ve just come back to the Oppo 203/ Arcam AVR 390 system. It was playing via Roon, and it got to the end, and I’ve come back about 45-60 mins later, so, screen saver has kicked in but otherwise everything is exactly the same as I left it. I’ve chosen something else to play and the issue has occurred…the only variable is that this time I chose something from Tidal, whereas when I was experimenting previously, the music happened to be from my local library.

I’ll experiment with permutations of things from tidal/local and screensaver on/not on.

Cheers
Dan.

I’ve been experimenting a bit more with starting playback when the system as been switched on and idle so the screen saver has kicked in on the Oppo and I haven’t been able to replicate the issue, on either local of tidal material. I’ve also tried leaving it for a protracted period to replicate the exact circumstances when the issue occurred as mentioned above, and it didn’t do it. I’m a bit baffled!

Thanks, I did know about pure audio, but it had not occurred to me to use it in the way.

The main reason for leaving the screen saver on one of the Oppos at the moment and turning it off on the other was for the purpose of troubleshooting and trying to rule that in/out as the cause.

I have to say based on what I’ve seen, it doesn’t seem like the screen saver is the cause as there have been so many occasions where it has been active, but Roon playback has started with no issues.

Hello @Daniel_Turner,

Thanks for providing an update and for letting me know what you tried. I have been actively discussing your case with our hardware team and we are investigating a few similar reports with Oppo’s assistance, please see:

If there are any further findings you make regarding this issue (if it only happens after a specific type of format rate switching) do let me know. Thanks!

Hi noris,

Thanks for the update, really appreciate your support.

Cheers
Dan

1 Like

Hi Noris,

Has there been any development on this at all in terms of a fix from Oppo? I had thought it was resolved as it wasn’t happening for ages, but I’ve had a real spate of the issue occurring over the last couple of weeks, almost every time I play music it seems.

I still can’t discern any particular patterns.

Thanks.

Hello @Daniel_Turner,

We reached out to Oppo regarding this issue and did not receive a response. You could try reaching out to them via their customer support, we’re ready and willing to assist Oppo if they’re interested in resolving this behavior.

-John

OK thanks John, I’ll try raising this with them. It can’t hurt I guess, but disappointing that they didn’t respond to you.