Roon lost control of the audio device- repeatedly

Roon Core Machine

Using a new Nucleus rev B with self-installed 2 tb Samsung SSD. It is formatted. I have an M2Tech Dac fed from the Nucleus USB port and a Qobuz subscription for music until i get the basics playing then will upload files to the Nucleus. Message at moment of changing audio source from iPad to M2Tech results in the “Roon lost control of the audio device” I hear only a momentary pop.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Same behaviour on the other USB ports of the Nucleus if you connect the DAC there?

Same problem when using a different cable?

Any exotic cable in use?

ps. Welcome, of course

Thank you kindly for the suggestions. I tried the other USB Nucleus input and a standard USB 2.0 cable (in place of my Nordost Blue Heaven) all of which had the same result of a second of hash noise followed by “Roon lost control of the audio device”. I checked with M2Tech (dac manufacturer) and they stated Roon had not certified the Young DSD and this result is not unexpected
Still as my DAC is not recognized it would seem many others would have the same issue and Roon should have some universal setting that would allow handshake. Any further thoughts?

A bit surprised as no Roon certification should be necessary get any DAC at least working basically. Maybe someone else with specific know-how on your gear can explain?

Thanks for your response, I too am surprised some type of setting isn’t available for basic functionality. I sent an email to Roon for support and hope they or others on the forum will respond with ideas.

As Roon technical support is only replying to the community per the very helpful Rebeka on the Roon customer service team, I’m trusting ROON TECH will reply to me directly on Nucleus not working with my DAC, M2Tech Young DSD. While I appreciate others replies seems strange, I cannot get a direct response from ROON. Nothing complex here, just a USB 2.0 DAC that according to dealers and other experienced professionals should have a ready fix. Please ROON let me hear from you.

Rebeka in Customer Service (who is a great asset to Roon) suggested updated details as below:

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Spectrum cable modem 400 mbps. Nucleus is hardwired ethernet through an 8 port unmanaged switch

Connected Audio Devices

Only an analog turntable into a 2 channel Classe amp/preamp and Aerial 5 speakers with 2 REL 7 subs.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Message at moment of changing audio source from iPad to M2Tech results in the “Roon lost control of the audio device” I hear only a momentary pop. Control is through iPad and PC on same network but connected wifi through a mesh network. Roon is not connected to any wifi.

Hi @Bill_Lorenz,

I took a look at your diagnostic logging and wanted to share with you what I found:

01/03 20:01:35 Trace: [raatserver] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] lost client connection. Retrying
01/03 20:01:35 Info: [raatserver] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] connecting (attempt 1)
01/03 20:01:35 Info: [transport] destroyed zone M2Tech was playing? False
01/03 20:01:35 Trace: [zone M2Tech] Suspend
01/03 20:01:35 Info: [zone M2Tech] Canceling Pending Sleep
01/03 20:01:35 Info: [zone M2Tech] Canceling Pending Sleep
01/03 20:01:35 Warn: [raat_ll/client] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] failed to connect Connection refused

All we see is that the device is disconnecting and refusing the connection before it recovers it again. Here’s another example with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (my favorite!!!)

01/03 22:38:50 Trace: [M2Tech] [Lossless, 24/96 QOBUZ FLAC => 24/96] [100% buf] [PAUSED @ 0:01/3:52] Black Summer - Red Hot Chili Peppers
01/03 22:39:00 Info: [stats] 23119mb Virtual, 854mb Physical, 393mb Managed, 345 Handles, 97 Threads
01/03 22:39:00 Debug: [easyhttp] [7057] POST to https://device-map.roonlabs.net/1/register returned after 653 ms, status code: 200
01/03 22:39:00 Trace: [devicemap] device map updated
01/03 22:39:02 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] SENT {"request":"get_device_config","device_id":"hw:CARD=M20,DEV=0","options":{}}
01/03 22:39:02 Trace: [raatserver] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] lost client connection. Retrying
01/03 22:39:02 Info: [raatserver] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] connecting (attempt 1)
01/03 22:39:02 Info: [transport] destroyed zone M2Tech was playing? False
01/03 22:39:02 Trace: [zone M2Tech] Suspend
01/03 22:39:02 Info: [zone M2Tech] Canceling Pending Sleep
01/03 22:39:02 Info: [zone M2Tech] Canceling Pending Sleep
01/03 22:39:02 Warn: [raat_ll/client] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] failed to connect Connection refused
01/03 22:39:02 Trace: [raatserver] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] client connection failed. Retrying in 500ms

One thing we can try is to refresh a folder for Roon. Let me list the instructions below and if you would, follow up with me on the outcome.

Regards,
Wes

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new RAATServer

Wes,

I performed the process as you described. Upon restarting the Roon application through my PC and the WebUI, system reported I needed to specify audio device. The M2Tech was listed and I selected it. Same problem occurred and no sound and then under Roon Audio settings the M2Tech is no longer listed. In checking my PC files a new RAATServer file was created. What next?

I am copying my dealer DSS in Carlsbad, CA as they are also searching for a solution. Thank you and let me hear from you.

Regards,

Hi @Bill_Lorenz,

Unfortunately, all I am finding are examples of the same nature:

01/14 22:11:06 Trace: [raatserver] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] lost client connection. Retrying
01/14 22:11:06 Info: [raatserver] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] connecting (attempt 1)
01/14 22:11:06 Warn: [raat_ll/client] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] failed to connect Connection refused
01/14 22:11:06 Trace: [raatserver] [M2Tech USB Audio 2.0] client connection failed. Retrying in 500ms
01/14 22:11:06 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] GOT {"status": "Canceled"}

The DAC just stops responding to us and drops off our map.

A few general suggestions:

Try connecting the DAC to a PC via USB to see if the same behaviors are observed.
Hard reset the DAC.
Check for firmware updates.
Try swapping out the USB cable being used.

The M2Tech is not Roon Ready or Roon Tested but we would expect us to be able to communicate with the unit via USB. I wish we could shed more light on the problem but all we see is the connection drop and the device stops responding.

Regards,
Wes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.