Roon lost control of the audio device with KEF LSX

I Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Rock on Intel NUC with latest Roon server software 1.6 build 416 with attached hard drive for music storage.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Asus router to Cisco 2960, used as unmanaged switch - all Ethernet cables

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

• 1 pair of KEF LSX with latest firmware connected via Wi-Fi to home network, between the KEF speakers an Ethernet cable.

• 1 pair of KEF LSX with latest firmware connected with Ethernet to Cisco switch in home network. Between the KEF speakers an Ethernet cable.

Description Of Issue

I have just bought 2 pairs of KEF LSX for 2 different rooms and I occasionally get the message in Roon: “Roon lost control of the audio device”.

This happens normally when I skip tracks in Roon but not automatically, meaning I can’t provoke the error.

All software is up to date. All other endpoints work without any problems.

When the error happens, the KEF LSX stay visible in Roon but nothing happens when I press play. I have to go to the KEF control app and switch the speakers off and on again and then they’re visible in Roon and music can play again.

Hi @didge,

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this issue. You mentioned that you have multiple KEF speakers in use here, does this behavior only occur for the WiFi connected one’s or does it occur for the Ethernet-connected ones as well?

The Cisco switch you have appears to be a managed one, and often times managed switches require specific configuration options to work properly with Roon. Which I can’t say for sure what configuration options you should use, our Networking Best Practices Guide might provide you some suggestions.

If in doubt about the specific setting, you can try temporarily replacing your managed switch with an unmanaged switch to see if things improve or alternatively connect both Core + Endpoint directly to the router via Ethernet.

Can you give my above suggestions a try and let me know if it helps?

– Noris

It happens with both pairs of KEF LSX, one on Ethernet and one on Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi from ASUS router)

My Cisco switch is used as a simple unmanaged switch, no software management is used. I have a Bricasti M5 connected to it too, using Roon, and no problem at all.

The KEF LSX on Wi-Fi has the same problem, and it is not connected to an unmanaged switch.

Changing the setup does not remedy the problem.

Hi @didge,

Can you let me know what the specific ASUS router model you have in place? Sometimes ASUS routers need special settings applied (also mentioned on our networking best practices):

ASUS Routers

We recommend enabling “Enable Multicast Routing” option in settings.

Just as a test though, it would be good to know if bypassing the switch and connecting the LSX speakers directly to your router has any change. Can you give this a try and let me know?

– Noris

It’s ASUS RT-AC86U.

I only have the multicast option under LAN-IPTV but I don’t use that as my provider’s modem does IPTV and my router is bridged.

I can’t bypass the switch as the second pair of KEF LSX is on Wi-Fi, so there is no switch.

For the other pair, bypassing the switch does not help, same problem.

Hi @didge,

Thanks for confirming that. I did a quick search in my previous threads an noticed that IGMP Snooping/IGMP Proxing has helped another user in the past with connectivity issues on the same router model you are using (Roon controller dropping connection frequently). Can you give these settings a try and let me know if it helps at all?

– Noris

OK, but the other person’s problem was losing the controller but the music kept playing.

In my case, the music stops but the controller continues playing and doesn’t see there is no connection.

I don’t have IGMP snooping as setting. I’ll try the other setting but it is under IPTV, which I don’t use with this router.

I just enabled the setting IGMP Proxy but to no avail. I skipped songs multiple times on the Ethernet-wired KEFs and the controller showed the music playing but no sound. Then I got the message: Roon lost control of the audio device.

Hi @didge,

Thanks for giving that setting a try. I would next like to take a look at the diagnostics from your Core to see if perhaps there are any clues as to why this this behavior is occurring. Can I ask you to let me know the exact local time + date in your country when this behavior occurs next (e.g. 4:16PM on 6/7/19)?

What would also be an interesting test here is to see if the same behavior occurs on another Core machine. If you by any chance have another PC around the house that you can temporarily use to host the Roon Core, can you please let me know if the behavior is the same?

– Noris

Hi Norris

It happened yesterday 19/6/2019 at 12.38pm local time and today 20/06 at 13.04.

This happened on the KEF LSX connected to the network via Wi-Fi.
Today I had to switch the KEF LSX off and on in the KEF control app before I could play music again with Roon remote.

Unfortunately, I don’t have another PC to try.

Hi @didge,

Thank you for letting me know that timestamp. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action should do is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis, but unfortunately I am not seeing your Core as active recently, even through you mentioned this issue occurred yesterday.

Can I please ask you to reboot your Core and then manually upload logs to us by using these instructions? The best way to get them over to us would be through Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com. As I mentioned previously the logs may or may not help, if this is a hardware issue it is possible there may not be much info contained in them but otherwise we can check for any clues.

Hi Noris

I’ll have a look at it tomorrow as it’s evening here.

I just remembered that I was listening to Tidal through Roon the last two times it happened.
Might that be the reason you don’t see the Core as active?

Hi @didge,

No, I don’t believe streaming TIDAL content would affect diagnostics mode. You can try rebooting the Core as this generally re-establishes communication with our diagnostics servers but just in case it doesn’t, please provide manual logs as well.

Hi Noris

I restarted my Roon server on 20/6. I have the log files but no Dropbox.

I can use Firefox Send but where do I send the link to?

Hi @didge,

You can send us a Private Message here on the site with a link to the logs and we can pass them over to the team.

A post was merged into an existing topic: KEF LSX Roon lost control of the audio device

This is still not resolved, but can’t do any more testing than what you asked…

I think the problem is with the KEF LSX. They also lose connection from Roon from time to time for no apparent reason. Then I have to switch them off and on again or restart Roon Core.
Firmware version 4.1 seems a bit better now.

Hi @didge,

Does factory resetting the LSX change anything?

A post was split to a new topic: LS50 - Lost Control of Device

A post was split to a new topic: KEF - Roon Lost Control