Roon lost library and re-imported by itself

Hi @CANiSLAYu ---- Thank you for the follow up! Very appreciated!

Moving forward, I must apologies as I should have been more specific with my second bullet point above. I see from the screenshot that you’re using an SMB share but I would like to understand what implementation you are using (i.e SMBV2 or V3). With this in mind, can you please provide me a screenshot of the “sharing” settings you are using on the mentioned Seagate NAS?

Lastly, we are aware of some issues (generally speaking), between the way OSX interacts with network based storage devices. We’ve found that many NAS devices have issues properly communicating changes to OSX in particular. Basically, when OSX is aware of a change on the network drive, it lets us know and we update your library immediately, but we don’t always get that notification in as timely a manner as we would like.

However, in certain situations OSX can be unaware of changes, particularly if they are made directly to the network drive without Finder (on the Core machine) being involved. If OSX fails to notice the changes, Roon isn’t notified, and the changes don’t show up in your library until a rescan is triggered.

Unfortunately, we’ve found that most NAS’s just silently report a subset of events, or none at all. We did some research and found that just about every piece of software that attempts to do “real time watching” on NAS’s eventually runs into this limitation, and supplements it with a periodic scan of the storage folder. Plex does it, JRiver does it, so do others, and so does Roon (Brian our CTO discussed some of that here).

I should mention that a few things have changed since then. We have some new plans for improving our real-time scanning, but I don’t have a time frame to report on when that work will happen. In the meantime, we’ve also made the rescan period configurable, so you can have Roon scan more or less often depending on your situation.

-Eric