Roon (Mac Monterey) crashes immediately upon startup

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini M1, MacOS Monterey 12.2.1, 16GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

External USB 3 Drives (4) connected via OWC Thunderbolt 4 hub

Connected Audio Devices

Only USB 3.0 drives, no HDMI, no Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Don’t know number of tracks, but approximately 5,000 albums

Description of Issue

Can’t generate a screenshot because Roon won’t stay running long enough to permit that. The problem is that Roon crashes immediately upon startup. I get the 30 seconds of “black loading screen” but the instant Roon “should” start running, it crashes, dies, down for the count, …GONE in other words. By the way all of this just started immediately after the most recent Roon update (no MacOS updates around this time and no new software installed). That’s likely irrelevant, but thought I should mention it anyway. Going back to the beginning, for a while Roon reported that it was searching for an album with a name that I did not recognize - then crashing. I disconnected the volume that had any chance of containing new albums and that stopped Roon from searching for the phantom album, but didn’t stop the crashing. I really think those two issues are coincidental, not causal

I located my “Roon/Library” file and renamed it “Roon_old” then uninstalled/reinstalled Roon from your download page then rebooted my Mac. None of this made any difference whatsoever in Roon’s behavior

Once I submit this, I plan to disconnect ALL external drives/libraries and see if Roon can start and run without having to sort out library music storage

Disconnected all external drives and rebooted. No change - Roon still dies immediately upon launch.

Should I mention that jRiver Media Center 28 is currently running smoothly and perfectly on my system? I had to make friends with it when Roon went over the hill on me. I hadn’t run MC in more than a year, but now that I’m forced to use it, I’m actually liking it :slight_smile:

I have the same issue. Looks like its failing since 19th - 20th feb due some reason (last update?)
I have Qobuz integrated and it hangs on “Loading Artist” and eats one core 100% CPU … it looks multiple people do have this issue.

The problem is Roon 1.8. I found an archived copy of Roon 1.7, installed it and it runs perfectly. Roon 1.8, as reported earlier, dies instantly upon launch and will not run at all - not even for one second

I guess we wait for Roon 1.9 then?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.