Roon Mac still crashing really frequently

Roon Core Machine

Roon ROCK v 1.8 (build 958)
Running on Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH i5-7260U 3.4GHz 8GB RAM 120GB M.2 SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Nighthawk D700 (Bridge mode) → Google Nest Wifi Router → Netgear GS205 Ethernet switch → Tp-link Av600 Powerline → Core

Connected Audio Devices

av600 Powerline → Mac Mini M1 2020 (1.8, build 952) → SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2 DAC via USB

(Additional connected devices include 3 x RPi Running Ropieee, Naim Uniti Nova and 4x Chromecast Audios, some through Powerline, some on wifi)

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’d first raised this issue in this topic, and then found this topic, which does indeed fix crashes. But now it is only doing so for a vanishingly small length of time. At the moment I am having to go into my Library and junk my Roon and RAATServer folders 2-3 times a day after a crash or freeze (I get both). I’ve also reinstalled Roon a few times. I’m not using Roon Mac as a Core, just as a remote for my Mac-connected DAC.

I wonder if the DAC is the most likely culprit, because after reinstalling Roon it is usually the only zone I have to manually reactivate. At the moment the audio settings on my Mac are set to Mac speakers as output, leaving the DAC for the exclusive use of Roon. Is that the best way to do it? Might there be any other factors I’m missing?

@BriggSutton Did you update your Mac to macOS version 12.4? Since using this macOS version I did not have any crash.

Ah, I did not know there was one available. I have updated and have made it through half of Miles Davis’ “Walkin’” without incident. Thanks so much for the heads-up, @Arie_van_Boxel!

Hmm. Roon is still freezing. Same behaviour as before. Music keeps playing, but the controls along the bottom stop responding. Menus - accounts and bookmarks at top right, and top left menu are all clickable, but when I click I get the Roon equivalent of the spinning beachball. And sometimes I cannot restart music after pausing for a period - same lack of responsiveness. Quitting and restarting the app usually works, but it is annoyig behaviour.

(EDIT: Wait, there’s a dedicated thread for this behaviour. Sorry for the duplication)

Closing this thread, as you noted, you should add your voice to and follow the existing thread.

Thank you.