Roon Main Volume Question

I’m using a Mac mini as my music server with Roon. I have a Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC connected to a PrimaLuna EVO 400 preamp and EVO 400 power amp with XLR interconnects. I believe the PrimaLuna EVO 400 is not a true balanced preamp and power amp and the retailer for Holo Audio advised that tube preamps are not always a good match with their DACs. He advised tube preamps with XLR inputs/outputs that are not true balanced lose even more resolution with their DACs when using XLR interconnects and recommended I use RCA interconnects to solve the forward/brightness I’m hearing with the XLRs or turn the volume down on the source which would be the main volume in Roon if I wanted to continue using the XLRs.

So, will Roon still provide bit perfect if I lower the main volume below 100? Or, should the main volume in Roon remain at 100 as I currently control the volume with my preamp while Roon volume remains at 100.

Thanks in advance.

I don’t know of a way to alter a digital audio stream without changing the bits he consists of.

The reason I posed that question because I remember when I started this computer audiophile journey in 2008, I was using iTunes for my music player and the volume had to be set to 100 or maxed out in order for iTunes to playback the music files in BitPerfect. I used Amarra in those days as well and that was supposedly the same requirement for BitPerfect playback.

A change in volume is a change. I don’t know of a way to alter a digital audio stream without changing the bits he consists of. Nothing has changed regarding the requirements for BitPerfect playback.

Try both. Can you hear a difference? If yes, chosse the one method that sounds better (to you).

Are you using Device volume control or DSP volume control in Roon?

I’m using device volume control.