Roon Mishandles Metadata for Grace Jones - Warm Leatherette 2016 2 CD Reissue

Content you’re reporting an issue with

I have the deluxe reissue/compilation of Grace Jones Warm Leatherette, a boxed, two CD set from Island with UPC 600753660713. Both Allmusic and Discogs have the correct metadata for this album. I ripped this to WAV files and put them into Roon.

The file structure, files and tags are shown in the GJWarmTags file:

The track list, taken from the included booklet, is in the GJWarmTracks file:

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

No and yes. After seeing Roon’s mishandled screen I tried various types of editing to see if I could find a way of forcing Roon to use the metadata correctly. Nothing helped with the track list problem.

Is the album identified in Roon?

Yes, the album is identified.

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local. For the file structure, files/tracks, and tags, see the first uploaded picture above.

Screenshot of import settings

PITA, since it takes 4 screen shots and I haven’t modified any settings from the defaults.

Description of the issue

Note that I cannot be certain this is a new issue in Roon 2.0. The album was ripped and uploaded at least 6 months ago on whatever the current Roon 1.0 release was then. It didn’t have any tags on the .wav files. I can’t remember noticing anything strange in Roon’s album display then, when I first played it and was checking things for correctness. After Christmas I added the album tags and reuploaded the files on the then current Roon version 2.0.7. It was then that I noticed the obviously screwed up track list, with its loss of the fact this is a two CD set and track list starting at 6:

Things that may make this album difficult to handle are: 1) It’s a reissue/compilation of the original 1980 release, but has the same Album title as the original release; 2) The first 8 songs on this album are the songs from the original release; 3) Two separate CDs are contained in this album; the original only had one; 4) The additional 6 tracks on the first CD and all 13 tracks on the second CD are various different releases and mixes of the original album’s songs, so there are a lot of near duplicate track names.

I made a number of different attempts to edit the file in Roon to force it to use one of the correct metadata entries from Alldata and/or Discogs (which do have correct listings) without any success. About all I managed was to get the release date to show as 2016 rather than 1980 and to get a better cover picture. To me this definitely seems to be a case of Roon mishandling the metadata those sources return.

A set of screen shots from an Edit attempt is below in case that’s any help.

You are posting only the first of 5 choices under identify. I think the version you have is #3 if you use the arrow to the right to change versions. See pic for location.

I think #3 matches your version, but, double check.

Thanks for your helpful information, but…

I have also been geting 5 releases listed, and Roon doesn’t tell me very much to distinguish between them, except for the label and media type. My first one was CD, which is why it was the one I used. The others after that, for me were, in order, Digital Download Release from Island, Digital Download Release from Universal, Vinyl Release from Island, and DVD Release from Island. I looked at all of them, and none produced a good result, at least partly because their tracklists, while probably in the same order, were split in different ways across the media than my 2 CD version.

I did note that your list was different from mine. I never saw a list that gave me more than one CD release to choose from, and I don’t know how to get the list you did. There’s just too many unknowns involving tags to sort the possibilities out in a reasonable amount of time, not to mention the Roon-related mysteries of why we both get lists of 5 items to look through, even though they’re different lists, or why my entry, obviously a two CD album from the file structure, is getting offered releases on different media as possible matches.

I’ve already spent an unreasonable amount of time trying to manipulate Roon to get a good release match done. At this point I’m much more interested in someone from Roon investigating why it can’t find a good match instead of settling for an obviously garbled one. I think other multi-disk reissue/remaster/compilation sets entered on Roon 2.0 could run into similar problems, and would much rather have Roon handle all of them well rather than sending others on a laborous seach to find a detour that works for their particular release.

Personally, I think Roon is getting too big a list of possible matches from the metadata providers, possibly because of a sub-optimal query from Roon, and at some point just gives up or errors out of examining them, leaving me looking at the partial results it had put together by then. Of course, I know nothing about the Roon internals, which is why I’d like to switch to them looking at the problem rather than me trying further unguided experiments.

The one I posted is for me a 2 cd set matching the track titles on both discs that I could discern from your posts. I wouldnt have been so specific if I hadnt checked it.

The real question is whybyou are getting dufferent versions. None of my options were dvd. Curious.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.