Roon missing files when rescanning

I’m seeing this same behavior on my day old trial ROCK installation:

Roon Core Machine (ROCK)

• 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10710U (NUC10i7FNH1)
  • SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB, M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Hard Drive with V-NAND Technology for Gaming, Graphic Design, MZ-V7S1T0B/AM
  • Crucial RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 Laptop Memory CT16G4SFRA32A

Networking gear and Setup
Synology DS1621+ NAS / Google NEST Router (also tested with NETGEAR 10-Port Gigabit/10G Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS110MX))

Number of tracks in Library

Observed behavior

1. After initial NUC ROCK setup and migration of existing database yesterday, the core completed some additional indexing of newly added music, completed music track analysis for all indexed tracks, and was in an apparently quiescent state.
  2. This morning the number of tracks had dropped to ~25,000.
  3. Checking the NAS, all tracks appeared to be physically present and playable by other means (Plex, Synology Play, VLC, etc.)
  4. Based on frequent advice here, I shut down and restarted the ROCK. On restart it began scanning the three content folders again. That’s when I noticed that the iTunes folder had only 16 tracks imported from it. It contains over 50gb of music files.
  5. Some few hours later, the missing files had been rescanned and imported and were visible in the Remote UI again.
  6. A few moments ago I went to do another test play and discovered the track count had once more dropped to ~25,000.
  7. A forced rescan of the affected iTunes folder did not bring the previously scanned and imported content back.
  8. Restarting the ROCK server again started a rescan where new tracks are being scanned and imported from the iTunes folder once more.

Expected behavior

• Previously imported and analyzed music should be stable on the server, in the remote UI, and available to play.
  • Rescan from the folder UI under storage and the rescan from restarting the server should produce the same results (Folder level rescan failed to trigger a successful rescan, while the post-server restart rescan was successful - note 16 tracks jumped to 49).

Hi Brian,

Fellow user here. I noticed you were migrating a core over. Just to clarify, when you did the migration, to the NUC, did you edited the previous storage locations to the new location, or, did you just create new storage locations on the NUC.

Cheers!

I followed the documented “Migrating to ROCK” procedure and found that, since the ROCK device found all my content where it expected it, my storage locations did not need to be edited or updated (Synology NAS with unchanged paths).

Since the above, the ROCK has not “lost” content again and “found” it again.

Other problems like ROCK becoming unresponsive to any remote, ROCK declaring some files corrupted and unplayable (although every other player I try looking at the same file share has no problems playing them), ROON remotes crashing multiple times, etc.

The overall impression from this brief trial period is of a software ecosystem that isn’t quite ready for prime time.

Hey @Brian_Murphy3,

Ben here with the support team, thanks for taking the time to write in! A few follow up things for you:

1. Can you please restore a backup again and send us a screenshot of your home page showing the total number of tracks after the restore has been completed?

2. If the total tracks number drops again, can you please share a screenshot of your Settings>Library>Skipped files list. This will give us more detail to work from :+1:

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.