Roon mobile, how much is it worth to you? [This is being asked by a user, not Roon. Roon has no intention to charge for mobile access]

What would I like to see in a Roon Mobile implementation? Simple. Take a look at Plex. Username and password into your server. Hit play. Let the backend figure out the sample rate to best fit the bandwidth/pipe available. I know this goes counter to the bit perfect sweetness of Roon - but that’s the price to pay for being mobile. Oh - and version 2 of the mobile experience could add Android Auto controls. The mobile UI is already done (Android and IOS apps) - nothing different needs to happen there.

2 Likes

I would LIKE to use Plex for this, but it never finishes finding / loading my 100k+ tracks :frowning:

JRiver does a good job with mobile, but I have to run it on the same machine as Roon, and it consumes enough CPU occasionally to disrupt playback via Roon.

So it would be very nice if Roon would add this capability …

100k tracks is not much for plex. it takes a few minutes, max 30 minutes on a weak system i would think.
with plex you have (compared to roon) a stable, well designed product the evolves in high speed. check the plexamp release notes to see.

plexamp on mobile is so much better than roon in every way.

Well, you’d think wrong.

I’ve tried Plex MANY times over the past several years, and it’s NEVER gotten more than a couple hundred albums indexed in HOURS of processing. And it takes minutes to browse thru even those few albums.

Whereas I’ve rebuilt my Roon library a couple times over the past few years within (at most) an hour, and browsing is smooth and snappy.

As I mentioned earlier, I’d LOVE to be able to use Plex for music (I have a lifetime license for my video library), but it just hasn’t worked for me. :man_shrugging:

i have over 600k and and everything performs well. as i stated before, i wish roon would perform that well

And I wish the reverse :wink: i.e., that Plex would work as well as Roon. Obviously, something different about our setups.

Just for grins, I kicked off Plex server again on my Mac Mini 3GHz i7 with 16Gb RAM - after a full hour of scanning, it’s found only 400 albums. At this rate, it will take at least a full day to complete indexing. Roon does the exact same albums in < 1 hour.

I’d pay a small additional fee for ROCK-R (ROCK-R (Roon Optimized Core Kit Remote), rock·er | \ ˈrä-kər \)

The thing is with PlexAmp is that it is not bit perfect. Other than that it works fine. Jremote gives me the bit perfect for remote but a terrible (core). If I need a remote app the Tidal or Qobuz is my goto. All my favorites in those apps are created or updated by roon anyway.

I highly depend on Mobility - have good car audio

“Good car audio”, like any playing music on-the-go, bears a lot in common with a ‘good trip to the dentist’…
If you have to do it, it’s worth making the effort to make the experience as least unpleasant as possible, but prevention is always the preferred option. :grinning:

So that puts me firmly in the ‘No’ vote column :-1: (besides for which, the travelling situations in which I resort to music on-the-go are mostly ones where I don’t have internet access anyway).

1 Like

Car audio… I’ve got a few places on my commute that are mostly unreliable for streaming. Spotify works best. Spotify is lower bitrate and it tries, as quickly as possible, to download the whole track. Tidal generally locks up and Qobuz interface is a real no-go for limiting interactions.

So, if Roon was to work reliably in the car it’d 1) need transcoding / transrating. 2) Download as fast as possible / not stream in the “normal sense” (and will probably break gapless). 3) Significantly simplify the interface (adding CarPlay / Android Auto).

No interest in a mobile solution at all.

Far prefer a squeaky clean product of existing capabilities.

1 Like

No interest in Roon mobile whatsoever…

I also don’t understand why the Roon Mobile app won’t let you download tracks to your mobile for use when away from home.

It’s a BASIC feature that should have been implemented 5 years ago, and the only missing feature that has me perpetually assessing the competition. Not sure why such a simple feature would cost more.

1 Like

I used to think roon outside the house was really important, but to be fair with quboz etc out there, I just don’t see the need of it. Infact to be perfectly honest I am not 100% of the worth of my personal library anymore. I keep it around incase one day I cannot afford roon or quboz or tidal or whatever.

I would love it, but financially speaking I really haven’t gotten much use out of my last minute lifetime yet, and Spotify and tidal (and podcasts in my case) go a long way for mobile use. So I would definitely welcome it very much, to be able to listen to my rare movie scores on the go, but not at a surcharge and another subscription, Already have so many of those :slight_smile:

I already have roon remote. via VPN, or via ZeroTier.
so, i wouldn’t pay for that.
but i really think it should be an option in roon, and it shlould be included in the subscription.

With mobile clients available for the devices and services i use, probably not worth a lot.
Roon mobile has to come with some very innovative solutions and features for me to pay for it.

Bandcamp recently added local downloads. I hope Roon will follow their lead.