Roon mobile: remote streaming outside of the home [done]

Could you link to the one saying it might not be coming this year?

I think it’s a feature many of us would like, but it’s not trivial to do (and even less trivial to do well) so I’m not sure it would come ‘soon’. More ‘as soon as possible’ I’d think. Where did they post it would come ‘soon’?

The only pointer I’ve seen is Brian’s post above (quoted below), which I read as they’d really like to have it this year, but can’t say.

I’ve only just started using Plex for video so haven’t tried remote streaming (not sure I’ll bother as I tend to watch movies at home). I can only imagine it took Plex a while to create the system.

So with latest update, will Roon finally stream to a mobile when NOT on the local WiFi?

Please say yes.

No. The last update was Linn compatibility and MQA first stage decoding. The good news is that frees Roon developers to get the mobile work out.

1 Like

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [On Roadmap?]

Just making a comment to follow the matter more than anything. This is a killer feature and I would love to use an iPad pro 12.9 on the go as if it was on my local network (CD quality is fine for me).

As far as I am concerned take your time and release it when its ready. Threats of membership cancelation isn’t an issue, they will eventually come back :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Sync tracks to portable mobile music player

Am I missing something here? If you are Roon and Tidal user why can’t Roon simply stream from Tidal when I’m out of the house. Sure it may not have every one of my albums but it will have most of them.

I know this is not a ‘fix’ for those that do not use Tidal but I would argue that you are missing out a great deal by not having it.

I would also love Android Auto integration but that is a topic for another thread…

I think the problem is, that the Server is doing a lot of stuff like the searchable database with all its connections.

Hope this dream come true…

1 Like

This post is because I’d like to use Roon anywhere, not only at my home, with a proper “core”.
I think that it could be more valuable to listen music with an extended version of Roon, which consent, for example, listening music from Roon Radios or Tidal/Qobuz.
I’m thinking aboute a more portable version of Roon, for those who travel frequently.
Otherwise Roon is very good, but only at my house…
What do you think, do you agree?

Such suggestions have been in play for years. Search the forum you will find multiple threads and feature requests.

1 Like

It is also officially ‘On The Roadmap’, but no timeframes given.

@everyone I see someone combined my/our thread with some other thread to produce this thread which has completely messed everything up. The title has changed to a title with a completely different meaning that is not relevant and those that were contributing on here have now lost the context of their comment because of this. In addition, anyone reading through he forums are not likely to contibute, because let’s face it same reason, the thread does not flow well and has lost it’s meaning and it’s proper opening paragraph.

@roon whomever did this should learn not to do this again. It’s one thing when the topics are actually the same about an actual bug or something, but these topics are not the same. The opening topic that I wrote makes more sense than the quite different opening topic that was written by @evanglist (no offence) and the dates don’t even go in order any more. Roon this is a balls up on your part. Can you please disconnect these two topics? They should never have been combined.

Thanks,

Marshalleq

1 Like

Hi @marshalleq,

I’ve done some digging, this topic was originally called

… Remote playback over internet …

and later expanded to

Roon mobile: remote playback outside of the home [On Roadmap - Scheduled]

I believe this was done as Roon’s vision is wider that just play back over the internet.

Using this broader description, you opening post / topic was consider to fail under this definition and hence the merge.

I believe this is the start of your “opening topic” (that is now in this topic) …

Careful reading of it, I see your focus is on syncing music files to portable devices rather than streaming to them via a data connection, which is the main thrust of discussion in this topic.

I see what you mean about the dates :frowning: Discourse is not our friend here.

Let me see what I can do, to separate the two requirements … it will be a challenge and take a while but I will try.

Note I may have to “stage” posts to do this so don’t be alarmed if they are not visible for while.

Update …

Link to the reconstituted topic, I’ve adjusted the title to make it clear the request is for Syncing not Streaming.

Hey Carl, thanks so much for coming back to me and helping with this! I think (remember this is going back many years now) that those original titles are actually not my titles but the other threads not sure maybe I edited it myself in the beginning. Anyway as you can see in the first line you posted of my original post, it actually says via sync OR streaming, and I don’t recall the conversation particularly centring on one more than the other, but you could be right.

The two are different use cases really, in a car we wouldn’t want nor need high quality music in many cases and internet is not cheap on mobile devices in many countries. Where you have Wifi, obviously streaming would be preferable and there will be exceptions to both.

I think my focus was not really meant to be on one or the other but on that outcome of playing on mobile and remote devices. Anyway, I’m sure you’ll figure it out. I’m very grateful for this as I think it’s an extremely important topic for Roon and it’s customers that I’d hate to lose momentum on. I do notice there aren’t many comments on it now like there were - possibly due to the topic being worn out, but more likely the thread merging.

A real nice touch would be to get an update on the topic when you’re done if there’s any way you can do that - it has been 6 years since this thread was opened I think and is still my number 1 wanted feature.

Thanks for anything you can do anyway!

Marshalleq.

I’m a volunteer community moderator on here, I don’t work for Roon and have little influence on their Roadmap. That said, when Roon do deliver new functionality, any #roon:feature-suggestions are normal updated to reflect. Finger’s crossed now that Roon have confirm they are working on it this will be sooner rather than later.

1 Like
2 Likes

People have been heavily requesting this since 2016… Crazy. Just get it done already!

Plex does it, it’s not that hard. Just allow users to map/NAT ports outside their house and connect to their roon server remotely like plex does. Then just have a small conversion agent on the server that allows you to pick the quality you want streamed and it real time converts the stream to MP3 AAC whatever is needed for cellular play.

Also, being able to sync music for offline is a no brainer. I don’t get why Roon is taking so long to do this. Integration with streaming providers is good, but OH MY that amount of friends I have told to try roon that simply ditch it straight after the trial due to not having remote playability is astounding.

I guarantee you lose out on 10+ customers for every 1 customer you get because of this feature not existing, If I personally had designed ROON this feature would have been at the top of the development list to allow a 1 stop shop for everything music locally and remotely. Its a bit dumbfounding.

5 Likes

I agree with everything you said. If not for WFH situation earlier, I don’t think I would ever considered Roon, I am at work most of the time, and there is not “Roon” available…

I think the problem is that Roon uses more than one or two or three ports, it uses a port range.
Meaning instead of just a simple solution NATing say that one port for access outside your LAN, you need to have a routing solution that can handle something more complex.
Whether its IPFire, or pFsense, or Untangle or a HW-based firewall solution doesn’t matter; so long as you can tunnel your entire network, via one of various VPN protocols, and your remote session is then in your local LAN, then yep, it’ll work fine with Roon’s many dynamic ports.
WHY Roon needs an entire port range is another question…