Roon mobile: remote streaming outside of the home [done]

I have taken a Windows based Roon NUC and my cellphone as a hotspot to audio stores to evaluate hardware.

1 Like

Ah, now the Tidal, “export back…” is within my skill set. Excellent, @j_a_m_i_e

Thanks for your input on the other questions, too. Really appreciate the time and expertise being brand new to Roon.

:+1: @Rugby I’ll have to research what a NUC is; thinking it’s the $2500 gizmo Roons sells; if so it’s way beyond my set up.

Thanks, @j_a_m_i_e ; way over my skill/set head. :smiley:

That’s a Nucleus. A NUC is a small computer made by Intel. We use these to install ROCK on. Basically, it’s a very inexpensive Nucleus :slight_smile:

1 Like

A laptop would work better.

Is it too hard to be handy? for roon?
As you all know we are living in on-lined …
Roon started like pionier and i have became a fan!!
But roon is still in the 2000’s. Nothing but a powerful library manager.
Every music ott’s are mobile… Roon is expensive and beautiful. But not easy to go. You should be…

1 Like

It is on their road map. It will happen but it is a lot of work.

Here you go.

LOL, that thread started in 2015. Do you still think it will eventually happen?..

1 Like

I’ve moved your post, and the replies, into the existing Feature Suggestion thread. If you haven’t already done so, you can vote for it by using the Vote button at the top of the thread.

2 Likes

We can only hope :crossed_fingers:t2::grinning:

Yes Please. I want to listen to roon at work!!!

I know this is a long time in the pipeline, and, without knowing the intricacies, I have to assume that it’s a bit more complicated than something like Plex, however, at the same time, the lack of a true remote option perhaps wouldn’t be quite so glaring if Roon staff didn’t continually state their view that streaming is the future (it’s now), or that they perceive streaming users as their primary customer.

Streaming is mobile…streaming is fluid, it’s immediate…it’s where the user is…Streaming isn’t a server in your closet. I personally love and prefer it, but, that’s called networked home audio.

From my view, Roon isn’t quite sure whether it’s Martha or Arthur…it wants to be both, and yet, it’s in this strange predicament where it’s neither.

1 Like

In the #tinkering area there some success stories for the adventurous types.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/remote-connection-via-vpn-resolved-but-ongoing-discussion/19691/260

A post was merged into an existing topic: Remote connection via VPN - [Resolved] but ongoing discussion

2022 around the corner you guys can hire me, I would come up with something, how hard is it?

1 Like

I use a firewall and DHCP server named IPfire. It needs to be installed on separate HW with at least two Nic’s. So there is a minor cost added.
Then you can use OpenVPN and easily access Roon everywhere on your iDevices.

Just do it man :grinning:

So yet another version of roon is out, giving me the things that I don’t need, meanwhile the one thing I do need is still not available. I wonder how many version’s we’ve had since this was originally promised.

And I’m still annoyed about this thread being split - it’s just lost it’s momentum which was the one good thing - roon would see daily that we want this but now it has shifted to another thread which has not the same focus - you have to wonder if that was the point all along - I think threads should not ever be modified!

2 Likes