Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [done]

I’m not going to talk with you anymore. Ever (almost)!

Yes, you are absolutely right. This would be lost. But how many of us have DSP needs on travel that a mobile device cannot do on the fly? Once you are at another place with fixed setup (speakers, room correction etc.) add another Core and switch to this one.

Where is Roon with this demand?
My core is on a QNAP server and the “Music station” software on Qnap is very bad.
I hope they will soon find how to do it.
Best regards

Then I’m genuinely curious what you think would be the added value of Roon remote playback over any other streaming service?

Answered just a few posts up …

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/remote-playback-over-internet-on-roadmap-scheduled/3382/101?u=carl

To each his value! :innocent:

Hopefully they won’t succeed (whatever they are)! What roon really needs it’s real competition hopefully through real innovation and novelty. What we don’t need is another copy of roon…

For me the UI, history, focus, meta data, all the links (to producers, sound engineers….)

about $240 a year. The capability to not use streaming services at all.

Those that can’t wait for this feature, can just rent available resources in the cloud themselves, and install Roon :grinning:
Fully legal. Just comes with a cost.

A better mobile app for Qobuz.

2 Likes

Tell me more!

1 Like

@R1200CL This sounds really cool. How would you point Roon at your library if you kept it in the cloud? Any service in particular you recommend? Thanks!

I think you should start to play locally with virtual machines first. Hyper V and WM-ware. And RDT. Probably contains as well if you happen to have a Qnap.

When you feel comfortable with this, you can consider testing out a virtual machine in the cloud with either Rock, Linux or using windows.

It may be a challenge to have Roon accept this as a part of your local network, so you may have to find some ways around. (VPN?)

As you can rent quite powerful machines, HQplayer may be perfect for this. I know there is a project that due to computer intensive processing (one time), is looking into this option as well.

I have no idea :grinning:
Google is your friend.

The Library is the Problem. You would either need a NAS or something similar at your own house, but at that point you might as well host the roon core at your house as well, or you need to upload your music to the cloud. And that can get really expensive. We’re talking about $30-$60 each month per TB if you host the files on MS Azure. And thats at the inexpensive end of the spectrum.

Oh dear, oh dear. That is not the way. Thanks so much for that update, I appreciate it!

Why so much talk about keeping your library in the cloud? I thought this post was about streaming from your core in your home to your mobile endpoint device outside your home over the internet.

Some posters were offering it as a potential alternative because, after six years of Roon discussing remote playback, we’re still wondering when.

Thanks for this reply, but with all due respect, I am having a hard time understanding why you seem dismissive of someone suggesting that we have to wait until 2025 and consider four-years a “lifetime” when we have been waiting six, since this was put on the “roadmap”.