ROON Multi-channel: Engaging "Speakers Setting" Filter Causes Click at very end of last track of albums

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Exasound Delta Server (as of few days ago, same issue before with Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet hardwired everywhere including ROON Core and ROON Ready Exasound s88 7.1Ch DAC

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Exasound s88 7.1Ch DAC

Description Of Issue

I play a lot of 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 albums, resolution from 96-24 up to DSD256, both native resolution and also upsampled to DAD256, on my family room system.

When I play all these albums “Lossless” without any DSP or Filters or Volume Leveling, everything is fine, and I do not get any annoying pop/click (which could blow my tweeters potentially) at the end of albums…

I can play up to 5/5.1 Ch up to DSD256 “Lossless” fine. I can add headroom management, upsample to DSD256, and add volume leveling no problem, no pop/click. But when I enable the filter “Speaker Setup” then I pretty much always get a pop/click at the very end of many MCh DSD albums, and at the very end of my one MCh DSD128 album, and at the very end of each of my 13 MCh DSD256 albums.
So I am not able to use the “Speaker Setup” filter without fear of listening at normal level and blowing out my tweeters with the pop/click at the end of MCh DSD256 albums or anything upsampled to MCh DSD256.

Another issue is the “Gain” setting in the filter for "Speaker Setting is worthless. I tried using it to set speaker levels at the MLP and it did practically nothing - I find myself using the Exasound s88 speaker level settings which work perfectly.

I might add in my theater room I use a Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP which also is ROON Ready ethernet.
However, as I used the Trinnov software for speaker levels and delays (using the Trinnov Optimizer), I never tried ROON’s internal filters.

Please correct this issue. Thanks.

This same issue occurs with my prior Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP and my recent and current Exasound Delta Server.

Interested in any replies to these issues, as I am also a fan of multichannel music. However, I am also interested in the OP’s evaluation of the performance and functionality of his exaSound s88. As far as multi-channel music is concerned, I’ve always wished for something like the s88 (multichannel streaming high-end DAC with both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA outs) and now it’s here with the exaSound’s newest component (in both silver and black, if that makes any difference to anyone, but it does to me). Previous comparable options have been either very much more expensive (not that the s88 isn’t expensive), limited in functionality, or both.

I love the Exasound s88. Its so resolving. Every change/improvement I make I can hear the difference.
And paired with the Exasound Delta Server (initially I used my Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP) its even better sonically. Highly recommend!

2 Likes

Great to hear, Steve. It’s a very much sought-after item in my stack, and I’m sure it will assume it’s place sooner or later. Happy Listening!

• john

Good to hear/read opinions on the s88 performance, and from multiple sources. I’ve ordered the s88 after months of consideration and can hardly wait for it to arrive. This is my first streaming DAC purchase. So far I’ve had to rely on the DAC’s in my Denon receiver and OPPO 205 player.

The conformation email stated the S88 DAC’s are built to order so I’ll be waiting for a week or two.

Congrats! You are now on the path of true audiophilia and upgrades. If you are married be sure to set aside money to match your audiophilia buying to get stuff for your wife to make her happy! HA!

You will hear the sonic improvement with every single change/improvement you make in the audio chain. For me, changes include basic power conditioner, to Furman REF-15i (now in basement system), now PS Audio P15 power regenerator; from basic power cords to Audioquest ones; adding Isoacoustics stuff for isolation. Amps are PS Audio monoblocks - 3 Stellar M1200s and 2 Stellar M700s. Speakers are on wall (grandchild proof) 5 Totem Acoustic Tribe III and 2 REL 7/Ti - some being moved to basement system, as yesterday changed to 3 Totem Acoustic Tribe V and 2 REL 9/Ti subwoofers. With Exasound Delta Server!

That is the biggie and I’m already on that path. Had some put aside for small home improvements. My choice for improvement was the s88, she gets to decide on the other larger half.

I probably won’t go much further on system improvements but I will consider the Delta server if my NUC8I7BEH/Rock server bites the dust. Hopefully that will be well into he future.

My Denon 8500h has the 7.1 analog inputs for the s88 with 13 internal amps. I don’t see separate amps in my future. I love reading about the equipment folks on this forum have but I have to maintain the built in wall appearance and only have a 2 foot square media closet to house the A/V and Network components. Have a 7.2.4 speaker arrangement with B&W 702 s2 towers plus center speaker in the front, B&W 600 series towers in the rear, plus sides and height’s for surround. Subs are JL Audio F112 V2 in front and e110 in the rear. That will have to do, at least for now.

Hello @Steve_Bruzonsky,

Thanks for the report, I’ve filled a ticket with the QA team to look into this.

-John

Nice stuff - JL Audio subs are excellent. By the way, look up my PS Audio Stellar monoblocks. Don’t weight much, can be stacked and not take up much space - but the expense can lose the WIFE factor! HA!

John thanks.

Also please look into that in ROON I found the “gain” setting also did little to nothing re speaker level - I’m using the Exasound s88 settings for that.

Please let us know when you verify this issue and if/when it is remedied. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.