I am a loyal Roon lifetime member and would appreciate some advice. I currently run Roon Core on an i7 MacBook Air with all my music stored locally on its solid state drive. I go USB out to my EMM Labs Dac2x. I use native DSD over pcm out when I play DSD. I am running out of disk space and also want to remove my MacBook from directly connecting to my DAC at my stereo. I’m looking at buying a Sonore UltraRendu to clean up noise at USB input and looking at options to feed it.
Option 1 (not an option much longer)-* run Roon Core on MacBook Air and keep music locally on it and go wireless to my Airport Extreme wireless and Ethernet out to Sonore, this removes my MacBook USB out from the equation but puts a network between source and Sonore Ethernet in
Option 2 (this is the Option I’m leaning towards in the shorter term until I can migrate to Option 3 so I can use my MacBook as the UI) - * run Roon Core on MacBook Air and load all my music onto a Synology NAS and Ethernet out to Sonore
Option 3 (this is the option I’d prefer in the end)- * run a Roon Core and store my music on a Synology NAS
Questions (sorry in advance
- How does Roon work? Does the Core retrieve all the music data from wherever it is stored, process it and then send it on to its Roon endpoint? or is it really sending instructions to where the music is stored to go to a Roon Endpoint? I’m just trying to understand the implications of separating my Roon Core from the music being locally stored on my MacBook air solid state drive which is running out of space.
- A bunch of folks are touting MDP and HQplayer and Audirvana as “better quality” audio than Roon. I love the Roon metadata, UI and experience but can you please comment? what’s the difference? my DAC does the DSD upconversion so would there even be a difference?
- Option 1 - would this work acceptably going wireless from the MacBook to my network and on to the Sonore? bit concerned about speed and bandwidth required over wireless and how that would affect audio quality?
- Option 2 - would this work acceptably going wireless from the MacBook to my network and on to the Sonore? bit concerned about speed and bandwidth required over wireless?
- Option 3 - which model of Synology NAS with a processor suitable for option 3 do you recommend? Note that I don’t think I’m using Roon DSP because i feed my DAC natively.