Roon - NAS - Power supply

I use Qnap HS-264 with Roon Server als core.

The big Q - would it from a SQ make sense to buy a better power supply.

The only information that I have about the current power supply is: “Power Supply Unit- 60W adapter, 100-240V”

Would is make sense? What would be a good choice?

Thanks and have a nice week-end

Greetings from Hamburg - Germany
Torben

The short answer?..No.

9 Likes

So a Audiophile Linear Power Supplier with a NAS would not bringe any improvement.

1 Like

Torben, if you’d browsed the forum a bit, you would have probably found out that there are subjective and objective camps regarding fringe audiophile cases and their audible merits.

:exploding_head:

So just read up on those and don’t start yet another thread that’ll turn into a waste of internet traffic…

:dove:

3 Likes

Have a nice week-end :slight_smile:

If you use a LPS for a computer, on the computer’s motherboard there are all kind of voltage regulators as different components need a different voltage, and these are SMPS.

So, even if you are using a linear power supply to power the PC, at the end of the day, the components are still powered by internal SMPS.

3 Likes

THX Rugby :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem. Even with that, some people can hear differences, some do not. I personally haven’t ever heard a difference when used with a computer (or switch), but, if you can get one with a good return policy, you can try and listen for yourself.

For the full experience you could put the power supply in an appropriate cabinet :grinning:

1 Like

Will do :+1::sunglasses::smirk:

i trust your judgement :+1: Have a nice WE

Puh some strange and very generic „recommendations“ are made here.
I would recommend just starting with an ifi iPowerX 12V for your NAS (which has an easy return policy) which is about €100,- and you can easily see for yourself.

1 Like

… which likely is the main issue …

1 Like

You believe people are not able to judge on their own? :thinking:

No, that’s not what I meant…
Playing with words, tongue in cheek, because usually one should rather hear than see the improvement… oh well

Haha well I definitely meant hearing the difference, anything else doesn’t count :slight_smile: