Roon native version for Apple Silicon [done]

+1 for Room Apple Silicon support and any info on if/when by @support would be appreciated.

Agreed. The only two bits of significant software I have running that donā€™t have M1 support are Dropbox and Roon. Apparently Dropbox are working on it (H1 2022), as I imagine are Roon. An update to as and when we can expect it would be appreciated.

ā€œ+1ā€ posts donā€™t sway things.

If you want to add your vote - click the Vote button at the top of the thread - thatā€™s what counts as a voteā€¦

And Roon Labs very rarely comment on requests, and asking for a comment from the Support team (who are there to support the current version of Roon) certainly wonā€™t get a reply.

All that is certain is that the development team of Roon Labs read all these Feature Requests and note them.

Yes, that puzzled me too: Iā€™m not a developer but if Roon runs natively on iOS why not on M1MacOS?

1 Like

Not sure Roon is running. Media server on iOS, just a client.

Weā€™d like the server to run on M1 for increased performance. However Roon server is built with Microsoft technology for the x86 processor.

There was an announcement 7d ago for the Linux version of Roon now under runtime .NET:

ā€œToday, we are releasing an updated version of Roon for Linux, which will now run on Microsoftā€™s .NET runtime. This replaces the mono runtime Roon has always used on platforms other than Windows and Roon OSā€.
So there seems to be a shift from mono platform to .Netā€¦
Does that mean that we can expect a macOS version natively running under M1 chip in near future??

2 Likes

At least there was recently a release of .NET 6 that natively supports Apple Silicon. So support might be on the way.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Roon for about a week now, and Iā€™m absolutely loving it so far. At the moment, my Roon core is a windows machine thatā€™s always on and I primarily play music off my M1 MacBook Air and iPhone. Iā€™m a person who listens to music a lot (and I mean A LOT), so itā€™s kind of a bummer to see that the application hasnā€™t been optimized to run natively on Apple Silicon hardware yet. I really wouldnā€™t care all that much if this was on an iMac because the software itself runs pretty great through Rosetta; itā€™s just the battery life and resource usage that Iā€™m a bit bummed out about. To be fair, Iā€™ve never used Roon before this, so I donā€™t know if itā€™s normal for a Roon zone with a small library to eat up 1.4 gigabytes of RAM; it certainly doesnā€™t seem ā€œnormalā€ though. It also appears to be the second most battery intensive application I run on my MacBook.

So, is there a timeline for an M1 native release? Anytime soon perhaps?

4 Likes

Ha - good luck! I am running my core on a Nucleus+ and I use a MacBook Pro (mid-2015, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7) to run as a remote to control my main listening room zone. Just running the Roon remote is using up to 6GB RAM (!), averages 20% CPU util and mid-20ā€™s energy impact even while idle and minimized. The app is very stable, e.g. it rarely ever crashes or even spins a beachball and it is very responsive. Which is nice. But is sure is a resource hogā€¦

3 Likes

Hi Roon team,

It would be great if you can let us know when native M1 support for Apple Macs will be supported.

Many thanks

3 Likes

Was there? Can you point me to the announcement? All I can find is that they plan to release a preview of it ā€œreal soon nowā€.

Iā€™m guessing all the parts wonā€™t be ready until next summer. Just a guess.

I can accept Roon Server will be x86 only in the near future, but I wish ARM Mac can run iPadā€™s Roon Remote APP officially first, it should be very easy.

ā€œThe .NET 6 Arm64 SDK is the first fully-supported Arm64 SDK on macOS 11ā€ - .NET Support for macOS 11 and Windows 11 for Arm64 and x64 Ā· Issue #22380 Ā· dotnet/sdk Ā· GitHub

" * .NET 6 Arm64 and x64 SDKs are supported and recommended." - Announcing .NET 6 - The Fastest .NET Yet - .NET Blog

2 Likes

Iā€™d settle for unofficially, but I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to sideload apps that have been blocked by the developer.

Interesting! Thanks.

Sorry, only just saw your post. Hadnā€™t noticed the Vote button, have now clicked it. Thanks Geoff!

Any clues when native m1 version will be available? Iā€™m considering to take a chance with audirvāna which is already has native m1 support and itā€™s so smooth and stable. Latest release of roon is almost unusable on my m1 pro and iā€™m thinking of cancel my subscription, sorry, but iā€™m so disappointed

As Damian Clark points out above, the first release of .NET 6 with native M1 support came out in November, and an update, 6.0.1, came out mid-December ā€“ you never want to use the initial release. Itā€™s now only mid-January, and Roon put out a major new release just before Christmas, so Iā€™d guess an M1 release is still a few more months away.

Votedā€¦ I continue to have constant instability issues with Roon on M1

1 Like

Any updates on this?