Roon native version for Apple Silicon [done]

Same here… 2 apps that are running under Rosetta. (Roon and Raat).

1 Like

What experience are you looking to get out of a native versions vs Rosetta translated?

Well, the same experience, but leaner and slicker! Otherwise you can argue we should all be be happy with an interpreter emulated in a virtual machine. But, patience is a virtue.

1 Like

I love when my boss asks me for their data to be presented in a leaner and slicker way…
Sarcasm aside, do I get your subjectives to mean an overall interface responsiveness increase?

@danny is that what you’re experiencing with the beta?

I feel no difference, but that’s to be expected.

Just the “Kind” in Activity Monitor says Apple instead of Intel.

Startup time is faster, but it wasn’t so bad on my MacBook Pro w/ M1 Max. It’s hard to notice changes when you have the fastest Mac in the world (the Ultra is doubled, but same performance per).

The biggest change is memory consumption, because we’ve left Mono behind, and are now using Microsoft’s .NET.

7 Likes

I think memory consumption is the last remaining aspect of using Roon that I find troublesome. It’s fine when the core starts up, but after a couple of days it starts to creep up to the point where things become sluggish, and that’s on a Mac mini M1 with 16GB of RAM. So not “the fastest Mac in the world”, but not exactly a slouch.

@Danny count me in if you want a beta tester with a Mac Studio M1 Max and 14" MBP with M1 Pro. I use my Mac Studio M1 Max daily as Roon Remote for at least 6 hours a day.

@Danny I’m a Room subscriber since 2 years but we really need an Apple Silicon version. Big issues on the memory consumption with Mono & Rosetta.

1 Like

I see so many users with the same issues, yet no response from Roonlabs. They’re trying to use a fundamentally unsound cross-platform development framework, which simply results in something that is either biased to one platform or is equally unusable on all platforms.

There were 5 responses from Danny in this very thread.
https://community.roonlabs.com/search?context=topic&context_id=137621&q=@danny&skip_context=false

5 Likes

So you buy an unsupported platform and it’s Roon’s fault. Makes total sense to me :thinking:

3 Likes

Not sure why some people on this forum have it in for the Mac. However, the above is a false statement, Roon states that it works under Rosetta on the M1. It does so for me without a hiccup. Ever. MacOS Monterey is problematic for some Roon users, not all.

3 Likes

Will Roon run OK on the M2?

Alright gang, let’s cool out. (but not like at Altamont when Mick Jagger said this and then The Hell’s Angels starting stabbing people :grimacing:)

There’s no need to resort to bickering. We have heard your requests for native Apple Silicon support and Danny has weighed in on that. Work is underway on this, well underway in fact - you’ll see.

Please remember that Roon is a small team, and that not hearing from us recently, on a feature request doesn’t indicate a lack of interest, or action, on our part. Frequently what it indicates is that we’re down in the trench, working away. We have a bunch of things in the pipeline simultaneously. Much of it is stuff you have requested for a while and VERY close to release.

Let’s extend each other some slack and understanding, ok? Cool, and thank you

20 Likes

It works in emulation, that is what I thought you were asking about. Read into it what you like but I have run a Roon Core on my Mac Mini and use my MacBook as a client most days, so I understood your dig quite well.

Roon labs is based on DotNet which is an Enterprise grade platform that took a long time to deliver a M1 native version. That does make it unsuitable, just means it took a long time to be able to work on a Native client.

As stated in my reply, I am not anti Apple and have a load of Apple equipment in my house.
The poster was clearly referring to an M1 native app

I am running my Roon Server on a 2012 Mac Mini…without ANY issues. I also run Roon Core on a M1 MAC Mini…without ANY issues. I remote control it all on my M1 iPad Pro…without ANY issues.

All my stuff is all hard wired including the 'Net. What I would like is for Siri to play my selections by my voice request…seems doable to me, but what do I know…

Do you have any issues? :rofl:

1 Like

A big +1 for this from me.

Thank you. I’m happy to be a beta tester (guinea pig, canary in the coal mine, etc) for the M1 native version.

2 Likes