Roon needs Internet access for Audio-zones? [Ticket In]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac Book Pro 2017 i5 8Gb 250Gb with media files on externa 4Tb WD 2.5"

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
No network, thats the requirement

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Local audio output through the Macs built in 3.5mm output.

Description Of Issue
I usually prepare my portable solution by starting it up at home before I head for the woods, where I plan to use it. So yesterday I made some small rearrangements of my media files one the external 4Tb, and therefore I figured it would be best to let Roon do it’s analysis and stuff while on a stable network.
Roon Core successfully transferred to the MacBook as. expected and when all files had been analysed and identified I shut down Roon.

Today I start up Roon one the MBP in my cabin in the woods. Like last weekend at first Roon reports that I have no audio devices??? But I do? I have both Built In audio and Core audio defined, and accessible.

I restart Roon twice but still no audio devices…

Okay, last weekend I connected through my cell phone for other reasons and then the audio devices reappeared. So I try the same trick again…
Connect through my iPhones shared internet connection and restart Roon again… (fourth time, and it really needs a different startup procedure… )

This really needs to be addressed. A music player for local media files should NOT require internet access to be able to play back music.

After a walk the Mac was sleeping due to me shutting the lid previously. As i opened it up Roon was still running, and available, but AGAIN i had no audio devices available… :roll_eyes:
This time i did nothing more than enabled WLAN and connected through my iPhone, and wadda ya know? The Audio devices returned instantly!

Why is this happening @support? I have never seen this before build 528…

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

Can you please send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions when your Core is in this state?

Hi Noris,
Thanks for reaching out.
I created a Support package and made it available for you here.

I recreated the scenario by simply disabling WLAN on the MBP, then started Roon. No Audio devices were detected. I created the support package and then activated WLAN (and thus, Internet connectivity) and voila, the Audio devices appeared again! :slight_smile:

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

Thanks for sending over the logs! I have forwarded them to QA and I will let you know what they say.

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

I spoke to QA and they have informed me that this is a known issue and that we have a ticket open with the dev team regarding this behavior.

I have added your report to the dev ticket. While I can’t specify when the ticket will reach the front of the queue, thank you for your additional report here!

1 Like

Any news on this? This is a kinda annoying?

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

I just checked the status of the ticket and I don’t see any updates at this time. This ticket will require some dev work to proceed, so I cannot specify a timeline of when it will reach the front of the development queue. Once it does though, I’ll have a better sense of the timing here, thanks for your patience in the meantime!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.