Intel NUC 10 i5 running ROCK

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Centurylink C4000BZ, connected via ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Chromecast

Number of Tracks in Library

30k tracks

Description of Issue

The only audio devices showing as available are the HDMI outputs directly on the NUC. I was previously able to play to chromecast devices as well as to my denon reciever via airplay but now all of the have disappeared.

I have tried tried troubleshooting through restarting both the router and NUC, restarting the server through the web UI, and reinstalling the OS through the web UI but none of those have helped.

Hey @Ryan_Williams,

Ben here with the support team, thanks for taking the time to write in, and I appreciate your patience while we continue to work through each thread!

Following up here, are you still running into issues? If so, lets refresh your RAATServer database and see how things run:

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Let me know if your issues persist after the above. :+1:

Hey @benjamin,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay on my end as I was out of town. I am still having the same issue.

I ran through the steps you outlined but there was no change in the audio devices that I see. I can see that the new RAATServer folder was created.

Are there additional troubleshooting steps to attempt?

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know @Ryan_Williams.

While I take a closer look into your core diagnostics, do you by chance have a backup available that may predate your issue? I’d be curious to see if temporarily restoring an older backup would allow your previous endpoints to show up properly.

Be sure to make a recent backup before restoring any previous backups though. :+1:

Unfortunately I did not have backups running correctly until I started troubleshooting this issue.

Hey @Ryan_Williams,

Thanks for letting me know. To confirm, do you have any VPNs at play, or third-party network software active?

Can you confirm all audio devices are on the same subnet?

I know you mentioned you’ve already restarted your router - I’m curious if you could also disconnect and power down your additional audio devices, and slowly bring them back online one by one. I’m not able to see any previous endpoints tied to your account, would you be able to share a few of the devices that aren’t showing up properly?

Thanks!

Hi @benjamin,

Apologies for the extremely slow response again and dragging out this debugging.

I do not have any VPNs active or third party network software as far as I know.

Yes, all devices are on the same subnet. I have attached a screenshot of the device list from the router software.

I also just tried disconnecting and powering down all devices and re-adding one by one. I am able to see them come online through google home and option to chromecast but nothing on roon.

I have two google speakers (nest and google home mini) and three chromecast devices and then I have a Denon AVR S760H which I could previously connect to through airplay. Not seeing any of them.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hey @Ryan_Williams,

No problem at all! I know how things go. As an immediate next step, I’d be curious to see how things run on the newest Roon build. If you could update both your core and remotes and let me know if you’re still hitting this issue, that would be helpful!

Is your core directly connected to your router? With that, it would be good to test out another ethernet cable, and a different port on the router (just in case.)

I’d be curious to see how things run on a fresh database as well. Steps to follow below:

• Create a fresh backup of your current database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your ROCK’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Test out if your audio devices appear before restoring from a backup. Thanks! :+1:

Tried the following:

1. Updated software - no change
  2. Swapped out ethernet cable and connected to new port on router - no change
  3. Created new database - same audio devices shown during new setup, still only default device (phone) and HDMI outputs, none of the desired devices

Hey @Ryan_Williams,

Thanks for the update. To confirm, are the devices hardwired via ethernet to the same router as your core? Or, are they on wifi?

If possible, could you test out trying to hardwire one of the missing endpoints via USB directly to the NUC? Our team will be investigating a bit deeper in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience!

Hi @Ryan_Williams

Welcome to the Roon Community. In just a fellow Roon user.

Firstly, is your C4000BZ firmware upto date.

I have had a similar issue recently, and either by coincidence on doing some basic investigation I popped my wireless security from WPA3 to WPA3 (different network equipment to you).

Once I did this my wireless endpoints showed up. I was then able to swap back to WPA3

I found these instructions that may help.

I’m going to read the manual a little further on case so etching else pops out as a possible cause/fix.

Report back if this helps or not.

Edit: is QoS enabled, quality of service, try disabling this if it’s enabled.

Edit edit: is the DNS setting as default. Worth a try setting to custom.
Google’s DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Try these. May or may not help.

A further thought, are all the Chromecast devices setup in the Google Home app. I don’t believe they have to be, just wondering though.

@benjamin, I had all devices on wifi previously but I did attempt to connect the Denon receiver to ethernet into the same router but there was no change. I don’t think that there is a way to connect either the chromecast or receiver via USB.

@Menzies, thanks for the suggestions.

I did confirm that the C4000BZ firmware is fully updated.

I took a look at the wireless security and it was actually already on WPA2. I attempted to swap it to WPA3 and then finally to WPA2 - WPA3-Personal (which I’m actually not exactly sure means but from what I tried to look up I’m guess WPA3 with a failback to WPA2) but no change. It also looks like my chromecasts are actually not compatible with WPA3.

I checked and confirmed that I don’t have any QoS enabled.

I tried to look at the DNS setting but I’m not familiar with exactly what that does. It looks like there is an option to set a dynamic DNS on my WAN settings or switch to a static DNS? Or there is also something about DNS Host Mapping on my LAN settings.

Thanks,
Ryan

From my understanding, devices that support WPA2 cannot connect to WPA3. WPA3 is more secure.

WPA3/2 is the best of both worlds. I didn’t see that in the literature I was referencing so I’m glad it’s there. Stick with WPA3/2.

That was my use case scenario also.

DNS - domain name system is the phone book for the internet. Some DNS can be secure ones and block certain internet traffics. Google’s DNS is fairly quick, secure (well, no less than others) and tends to be less troublesome.

I didn’t suggest looking for the information I’m about to list as I didn’t see it in the literature I was reading. It might be there though.

IGMP snooping and Multicast options. Enabling them may help.
For info only IGMP Snooping: 5 Facts You Should Know before Configuring

Now, my thoughts lead really to the Wireless router you’re using. The CenturyLink. I am not familiar with one but as you’re experiencing issues with all Chromecast devices with Roon, I’m thinking somewhere one of the things in this network chain doesn’t like the others. Do you have scope to try a different Wi-Fi router? This would eliminate quickly where the issue may, or may not be.

I missed it before. In your screenshot above in Roon you have a red ! In a triangle. Click or hover over it. Does it give a specific error?

Found this. Might be worth trying what was their solution if you can.

And another thread suggested special character permission in DHCP was needed and the firewall was the issue on the CenturyLink router.

I’m actually not seeing that red ! triangle anymore, not sure why it was there when I took the screenshot.

I checked the special character permission and it was already enabled. I went ahead and turned off the firewall but no luck there.

I think I agree that the router is the most likely issue. I think given the amount of time spent on this I’m going to just go ahead and try to get another router to see if that resolves the issue or not and will report back.

1 Like

To close this out I bought a new TP-Link router and have had no problems since. Not sure if there is a workaround on the C4000BZ but if so I was unable to find it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.