Networking Gear & Setup Details

HP ProCurve 1800-24G

Connected Audio Devices

Chromecast Ultra
Sony TVs with built in Chromecast

Number of Tracks in Library

15,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I used to be able to see all of my Chromecast devices in Roon and use them as either Audio or Display devices, recently they are no longer visible. I can cast to them via for example the YouTube app on an iPad.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Core with no change. I’ve tried turning off Microsoft Defender Firewall.

Thanks,
David

Had a similar if not the same experience. In my case one of the Google Minis kept dissapearing.
I fixed it with making sure it is getting a good WiFi signal.

Your not alone a few now have had this problem since the latest update. Mine however are all fully visible. Sometimes a full network reboot and core reboot can bring them back to Roons attention. I would give that a go if you haven’t all ready.

I would also try to check that it’s not related to your core machine. As it’s Windows, you should be able to install the Chrome browser on it and AFAIK you can use Chrome to stream to ChromeCast devices. If that doesn’t work, the issue is on your Core machine or your network (not related to Roon).

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m not at home so I can’t confirm the Chrome browser to Chromecast casting works, but the devices do appear available:

Screenshot 2021-10-28 080322

This is from the PC that my Roon core is on.

Also, the Chromecast Ultra and the TVs are on wired Ethernet, not Wi-Fi.

I confirmed I can cast from Chrome on the PC that Roon core is on to the Chromecast Ultra.

Well, this is interesting, I created a ROCK, and booted it up, it can see all of my Chromecast devices.

The ROCK and my desktop PC that was running Roon core are plugged into the same switch, so it isn’t a network switch issue. I have a 24 port switch in the basement and then 8 port switches in several rooms.

1 Like

Hey @David_Phillips,

It is incredible to see your efforts in getting things back up and running and your interactions with our community (thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions :pray:).

I am dismayed that we didn’t get a chance to get in touch before today. Please, accept my sincere apologies.

I was wondering if things have changed in any way since this last post? Do you plan on continuing to use your ROCK, or do you want to return to the PC? Can you use your PC as a remote? Do the Chromecast devices show up there?

Hi @beka,

Yes, I’m going to keep the ROCK in place, seems more hi-fi to me to have a dedicated Roon server.

But yes, the chromecast and sonos devices show up, and my PC works fine as a remote.

Thanks for following up,
David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.