Roon Not connecting to Nucleus+ & Apple iPhone7 app not connecting with Roon

1. I would connect everything via a single unmanaged switch to test, not directly to the router.
  2. You have not listed your network setup? What switches do you use? What is your Wifi? Is it a mesh environment?
  3. if you setup Roon on the Dell, does everything work?

I share @Greg_Johnsonā€™s frustration. @Rugby I am surprised looking at the advice you are providing. Hardwire everything in an unusable configuration. To eliminate what? Why is any of this necessary? I donā€™t have to do that to run any number of other products from Apple, Samsung, Oppo and on. I am having all the trouble I want with the Oppo and Nucleus both hardwired to the router.

This needs to be baked into the Nucleus hardware and Roon software. Things that are known problems - e.g. do not attempt to use this with ___ - should be called out. We are not talking about a cheap piece of gear here - both the Nucleus and Nucleus+ cost many times the price of an expensive router.

A common troubleshooting technique to find the cause of an issue is to simplify to a demonstrated good setup and then introduce other gear or connections until the problem reappears. Diagnosis usually requires tests.

Support threads are intended to solve the issue a particular user is having and are not the best place to have a discussion regarding troubleshooting theory or hardware support generally. Please open a new thread to have that discussion if you wish to do so.

3 Likes

Hi @Greg_Johnson,

Iā€™ve merged your threads so that we can have all the information in on place.

Letā€™s focus on this theory for a bit and remove the Nucleus from the equation. Can you please try to temporarily host the Roon Core on your XPS?

• Create a Backup of your Roon database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the ā€œChoose your Coreā€ screen, press ā€œUse this PCā€
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as youā€™d like.
  • Connect the other PC in the same way as the Nucleus (same Ethernet cable)
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

If you are able to reproduce the issue when the PC is the Core, that would indicate that the issue is with the network. If you are not able to reproduce, that would also be a good data point to have, and we can try more advanced troubleshooting on the Nucleus.

Noris;

I followed your instructions and made my Dell XPS8700 the core. When I clicked on the Roon icon, it found the core.

Hi @Greg_Johnson,

Thanks for trying the XPS Core, so just to confirm, the iPhone is able to connect properly when the XPS is the Core? There are no issues connecting from iPhone? Let me know and we can proceed with trying to factory reset the Nucleus if thatā€™s the case.

Noris;

My Apple i-phone 7, Roon app, is not able to connect with Roon. Also when I made my desktop computer the core, Roon searched & found my i-tunes music files stored on the computer but did not find my FLAC format music files contained in my two home ethernet network attached storage units, namely the Vortexbox & the NAD M50.2.

I did a factory reset of my Dell XPS8700 desktop computer and installed a bigger solid state drive (1TB Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO) as the existing 256 Gb SSD was getting full. After I did that I had to re-install my BluOs music operating system but when I click on the icon for it, it is also not able to connect. It was working fine before this reset. I have not had the time to double check all of my home network ethernet & other connections again but intend to do so.

Hi @Greg_Johnson,

If the XPS running as a Core is also unable to be connected to, this is very likely a networking issue.

I would suggest checking the network settings.

Do you have an option for ā€œMulticast Routingā€ in the routerā€™s config? Iā€™d make sure this is checked.

Noris;

Thanks for your comments.

I checked the physical ethernet connections including replacing some ethernet cables but my computer & Roon are now unable to connect to three servers on my home network, including the Roon Nucleus+, Vortexbox & NAD M50.2. When I try to trouble shoot the connection to the Roon Nucleus+, the attached screen shot is what I get. I agree that this sounds like a network connectivity problem right now because it is not only the Nucleus+ server but two other servers that canā€™t be connected. I went to the internet and found an article entitled ā€œCanā€™t See Other Computers on a Network? Fixes For Windows, Mac, and Linuxā€ and tried most of those fixes but they didnā€™t work.

There was no problem connecting to the other servers - only to the Roon Nucleus+ before I bridged the Hitron modem to the ASUS RT-AC66U router & factory reset my desktop computer. I am going to try to find an IT expert experienced in high-end music systems to take a look at this situation for me. Screenshot (3)|690x388](upload://beNjjwH0mdmEjAGcTecos6CJDzF.png) .

I seem to have solved Roon not being able to connect to my Nucleus+ and to my other music servers on my home network. Here is what I did;

1. I brought the Nucleus+ back to the store (Absolute Audio Video) that I bought it from to have them check it. Here is what they said:" The unit ended up behaving strangely the longer I left it powered upā€¦but Iā€™ve seen this behavior before and its is caused by a corrupt database. So I reset the database ā€¦ Unfortunately, the unit will be a blank slate when I return it to youā€¦ The unit was running Roon v555 which is quite oldā€¦"

2. At the suggestion of Absolute Audio Video, I unplugged the power cable and re-plugged the power cable for each of my my ethernet switches.

3. I checked the power, USB & ethernet cables going into each of may servers to make sure that they were tight.

After that I switched the core from my Dell XPS8700 computer back to the Roon Nucleus+ & was able to find the IP addresses for each of my servers and enter them into the storage settings in Roon

1 Like

Hi @Greg_Johnson,

Thanks for the update here and for working with your dealer on this one!

The Roon version of 555 is a bit outdated and the corrupt database might have been at play, but that doesnā€™t explain why the XPS also had connection issues, so it sounds like there might have been multiple factors here, both with the Nucleus and with the network setup.

Hopefully checking the cables and rebooting the gear sorted this issue out permanently, but I would keep an eye on the network moving forward as well.

In any case, do let us know if you run into any other issues and thanks for letting us know that the issue appears to be solved!

Noris;

I agree with you that multiple factors probably conspired against my music system working.

After Absolute Audio reset the Nucleus+ and I switched the Roon core from my desktop computer to the Nucleus+, Roon immediately found the Nucleus+ core on my home network. What I find strange however is that my BluOs app was also then able to connect with my NAD M50.2 ripper/server. Previously to that the BluOs app kept spinning, just like the Roon app did when it was trying to but could not find the core. Perhaps this has something to do with the ability to also use Roon through the BluOs app.

Despite Roon & BluOs now working, my Vortexbox ripper/server was still not showing up on the home network. Therefore I pushed really hard on each of the ethernet & USB cables to and from the Vortexbox to make sure that the cables were seated properly. That apparently fixed the problem. I thought that I had done this before but apparently not or maybe a cable had come loose. I then had to re-enter changed IP addresses for the NAD M50.2 & the Vortexbox into Roon/Settings/Storage for Roon to be able to retrieve my FLAC format music .

Greg

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.