ROON not finding all the contents of my music storage with WAV files

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop.
Windows 10
Roon Purchase January 2021
Music filed on a 2TB Passport WD USB HDD.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
KEF active loudspeakers.

Description Of Issue
The files were ripped from CDs using Microsoft Media Player. The files that are not recognised by Roon are WAV files.

All the FLAC music files have been transferred onto Roon.

All the 24/96 Hi Res files have been transferred onto Roon.

However most of the WAV files have not moved.

The files are saved under the bands name (as media player always does). Thus under Elton John will be a set of sub-folders each with and album in it. Now whilst I have around 20 albums under Elton John, ROON only ‘sees’ 7 of them. Under Adele it only ‘sees’ 1 where there are 3 under her name. With Depeche Mode it doesn’t read any, and I have of their albums 59 albums. There are no sub-sub folders. Please help.

I attach a series of screen shots showing the folder arrangement and the WAV folder collection that Roon will not move. See the above screen shots 1-9.

I also attach a screen shot Screen Shot 10 that shows what Roon says in the Settings> Storage section. You will see that It opens the flac folders and the Hi Res 24/96 folders but fails with WAV folders.

I have tried ‘force re-scan’ and this helped with the flac and hi-res but has made no difference with the WAV files, they appear to be unread at all.

I look forward to hearing what I should do.

And you are sure that they are WAV and not WMA files?

Hi @john_hiscocks, For your protection I’ve edited your post and removed all the personal details from it.

Hi @john_hiscocks,

It doesn’t look like the screenshots were included here – Can you try sharing them again?

I’d like to point out some documentation we have that may be helpful here. In our KB we have an article about Skipped Files and an article about why some files might be missing from Roon .

If you go to Settings > Library > Skipped Files do you see any of your missing files there?

I’d like to recommend looking at a couple of specific examples of tracks that did not get imported into Roon. Are they supported files? Are they showing up in Skipped Files? If it looks like they should be importing, let me know! Screenshots of these files in their storage location would be helpful for discovering what may be happening.

Dylan Caudill,

Thank you for the response.

Please note. ALL the file types are those that ROON says it supports. I only have flac, aif and WAV. I have most problems with WAV. With the WAV files, -it has read correctly 4,706 files whilst there are actually 13,250 files.
All the files have been ripped using Microsoft media player. Thus it files all the songs: band name(folder)>Album name(sub-folder)>tracks(file). I understand that this is a universal standard way of filing music. All of my music is filed using this hierarchy.

The really interesting thing is the following; some albums and even some tracks are skipped when other alongside are read:

1. Last week I ripped all 12 CDs for the Motown Chartbusters (ie volumes 1-12). All copies made at the same time on the same CD reader, lap-top, connections and hard-drive.
    In ROON it only shows Volume 1, 6 and 8. What happened to 2,3,4,5 7, 9, 10, 11and 12 ??
  2. The same happens to all other albums. Adele has 3 albums, -all listed under Adele on my hard drive. All ripped from CD, using the same audio hardware and stored in the correct file type within the ‘Adele’ folder. However ROON only reads the album ‘25’ and misses 18 and 21.
  3. With my collection Depeche Mode the situation is worse. I have 59 albums listed under the ‘Depeche Mode’ master folder. ROON does not read any of these.

I have tried to choose just one album from the above groups and ROON will still not read it. I have tried ‘force rescan’, this has not helped.
When I ask it to list the skipped files, these only show JPG and tiff files –i.e. the album cover photo art. So the skipped files that it shows are not important music files.

I attach a set of screen shots to give you the background.

Please help me,

John Hiscocks

Moderared: deleted phone numbers

Dylan,

I must apologise to you and your colleagues…I now realise that some of my files are WMA and not all WAV. All I can think is that when I had my PC serviced the rip setting for the files went back to the Microsoft default WMA setting and not the WAV .

I now have some 750 CD to rip again.

Thanks for your time.

John Hiscocks.

1 Like

Dylan,

I still have some problems with some flac files. But I now have a much better view of the issue.

Regards,

John Hiscocks.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.