Roon not finding ASIO device

Roon Core Machine

ROCK - Version 1.0 (build 227) stable
Running on a Roon-approved NUC with extra RAM and SSD.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ASUS AX-68U router

Connected Audio Devices

Device of concern is Classé CP-800 DAC-preamp connected by USB to my PC.

Number of Tracks in Library

3218 Albums

Description of Issue

I am running Roon Remote 1.8/943 on a Windows 10 Pro PC. I can direct music fine to network endpoints. However, I want to start using the USB device again and can’t find how to enable it in Roon. Under Settings > Audio, I used to see a list of devices connected to “This PC”. However, I no longer see that. I even downloaded and am running Roon Bridge, in case that would help, but no change.

The USB device is functioning with other players, like Qobuz and JRiver.

I feel I am missing something obvious and would welcome some help with this.

Is it possible that JRiver has latched onto the USB output and is not releasing it for it to be available for Roon to see as an audio option?
I seem to remember seeing that as an issue previously.

@TheHammer - Good thought, but I don’t think that’s it. JRiver is closed and its Media Server component is closed. Other apps (Qobuz) can find the DAC.

I seem to remember that previously, I would see an entire category of “Devices connected to this PC” as output options. Now I don’t see that at all. I’m puzzled.

Like this for example?
You don’t see anything at all?

Right!

The categories I see are Connected to Core, Roon, Roon Ready, and Other Network Devices.

That is odd indeed.
I assume you have done a full reboot of the PC after closing down JRiver?

Yes, I did. I will reboot again, just for the heck of it.

Sorry, don’t have anything more to offer right now.
I will do some thinking :thinking:
Hopefully someone will have some words of wisdom.
You are in the right place though.

Thanks! The second reboot didn’t do anything, either.

Was it helpful to install Roon Bridge, or isn’t it needed on a PC that is running Roon already?

Likely no help but not going to hurt anything either at this stage.
Do you have recent good backups?

A while back I had a Chromecast unit disappear from my audio endpoints.
Only way I could make it come back was to delete Roon and reinstall Roon.
However that’s pretty drastic action.

Thanks for the idea. I have backups running automatically. Roon reports a successful one yesterday, and I can always run another. I took a quick look at the interface for restoring, and at first glance, it’s pretty opaque. I think I’ll wait a couple of days before trying anything so drastic.

Have you tried rebooting your NUC? Also, if you do decide to reinstall Roon on your Windows PC, I suggest you install the “full blown” Roon. That way, you can use it as a backup Roon core device if you ever need one.

I have a Nucleus, but also run Roon core on my Dell laptop at times. Otherwise, I use the Dell as my main control device. You just need the full Roon software, not multiple Roon programs.

Yes it’s a kind of last resort thought.
Let’s see what other ideas surface first.

I didn’t mind doing as I don’t curate much so if I had to have started again from scratch I would not have been bothered overmuch.
But library curation means a lot to some people.

Try turning off the firewall as a test and see if the devices appear

Didn’t erase anything, but re-ran the latest installer, and this is what is showing now. There’s a heading for “This PC,” but no entries (devices) under it.

I turned off my VPN, and the devices did appear. Now, I have to figure out how to get them to appear with the VPN (ProtonVPN) on. I’ll experiment with the settings.

TENTATIVE solution – I’ll mark it as solved if still works in 48 hrs.

I had ProtonVPN’s dual tunneling set to reach the core machine without using the VPN. After turning that setting off, I find things work OK.

Yet traceroute shows the machine is still reached directly (one hop). Software is mysterious.

Thanks to those who made suggestions!

P.S. After doing the above, I experimented with telling ProtonVPN to exempt Roon software. That caused no problems and led to the program’s finding the Core more quickly. So win-win on this one.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.