Roon not loading - Catalina upgrade

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Latest roon Mac Mini, recent upgrade to Catalina - system crash

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired ethernet from Apple Time Capsule, WIFI to 2nd Time Capsule

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ultrarendu to Arcam D33

Description Of Issue

After System Crash Roon won’t load - spinning Roon after 24 hours

Have you rebooted again?

Somethings broke… try renaming the Roon library, and relaunching. If that doesn’t work, try reinstalling Roon.

1. Open Finder and click Go in the top bar
  2. Hold down the Option key (or Alt)(⌥) to unhide the Library folder
  3. Click the Library folder
  4. Rename “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”

Now Roon is active again, and my library is rebuilding. I went to restore from the Dropbox back up which says that the latest backups are from more than 2 years ago. What’s the point of setting up a library back up through Roon and Dropbox as recommended if its not current. How do I access the library from last week with all my Tidal adds?

I should add that was from renaming the Roon library.

I also have Time Machine backup active - can I use them?

Well, dropbox isn’t ideal, and your backups must have been failing for a while and you didn’t know. Time machine isn’t known for working very well with Roon either. You could try restoring just the user/library/Roon folder from it, but I’m not sure if doing so will work out.

1 Like

Thanks Mike - I will try the Time Machine restore of the previous Roon folder and see what happens.

Hello @NickT, I wanted to drop in and offer some help:

Time machine is not recommended for backup and not something I would recommend attempting.

With your new database, let’s make sure you’re all set for backups so you don’t have this issue in the future:

1. Under settings > backups you have the option to schedule backups and also create a backup at the click of a button. I’d recommend setting up a schedule and giving the backup feature a test to make sure things are working as expected.

2. I’d also check the available space in Dropbox to see if you ran out of space a while ago. Since you no longer have that database, it would be hard to tell what was the route cause, but we can definitely make sure things are safe moving forward!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.