Roon not offering native DSD support for Gustard X16

Roon Core Machine

Macbook Pro '21 - Apple M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, Sonoma 14.1.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Connected from MacBook to Gustard X16 DAC via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I am unable to select Native DSD playback within the Audio options for my Gustard X16 DAC. This device offers up to DSD512 with Native DSD playback via USB, but the option is not even present under “DSD Playback Strategy” options, so I am currently using DSD over PCM v1.0, but I would like to utilize the native DSD playback if possible. I looked through the Forums, but am unable to find a similar issue for my device. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the Roon community forum, @Austin_Oprean.

Since you’re using a Mac, the X16 will only receive DSD over PCM (DoP) up to DSD256. AFAIK, native DSD playback is supported with an XMOS driver (Windows) only.

1 Like

Thank you, I didn’t realize that this was an issue. Much appreciated @Martin_Webster !

1 Like

macOS (Core Audio) supports most DACs without a driver, but does not support native DSD. To utilize native DSD, you will need a streamer that supports native DSD. For instance, the iFi Zen Stream supports native DSD albeit to DSD256 only.

Let me reiterate every now and then my call for common sense. You don’t need to go astronomical just because the DAC supports it. DSD256 is already overkill in terms of quality.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.