Roon not playing from non-core computer

Roon Core Machine

Roon core machine: Windows 10 home, custom build Intel Core i9-9900K, 64GB ram
Satellite machine: MacBook Pro M1 Max fully loaded.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Spectrum wireless router. Roon core windows computer is hard wired to ethernet. Satellite mac laptop is on 5G WiFi.

Connected Audio Devices

Roon core windows machine connected to AudioEngine USB speakers, both in my side room.
Satellite mac laptop connected via USB to Schiit Gungir DAC, which is connected to my hifi system in main room.

Number of Tracks in Library

10,000 or so

Description of Issue

The roon core machine works fine, plays tracks fine, both local tracks and Tidal tracks.

When I turn on Roon on the satellite machine (the Macbook Pro connected to my hifi system in my main room), I can connect to the roon core machine fine and I can see all my tracks. When I play any track, it plays only on the core machine (on the AudioEngine USB speakers connected to the Windows machine)–it does not play on the hifi system connected to the MacBook Pro. So the MacBook is like a remote control for the core machine but can’t play on its own.

I am certain that I have the MacBook Pro connected properly to my HiFi system, because I am able to play music from it through my HiFi system via Apple Music and via Tidal directly. But I can’t play music through it via Roon for some reason.

Did you go into Roon - Settings - Audio and make sure it’s enabled there?

Turn off the windows firewall

I’m guessing that you have not set the Zone to be your HiFi system.

Also, this -

Hey @Marc_Wallenstein,

First off, welcome to the community! We’re excited for you to be here and excited to help. I do apologize that it was an issue that prompted your first post, but nonetheless, we are here to help. You’ll quickly find that the knowledge of Roon users here in the community is extremely helpful and take great care of each other.

Similar to what others have mentioned already, I’d love to see what your settings are looking like. Are you able to post a screenshot of both your audio settings page on your Core, as well as a screenshot of your signal chain when trying to play music from your Mac?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.