ROON not playing selected music. Error message: "Playing "artist" Undone" (initial German error message "Playing XXX Rückgängig")

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

1.7 (build 505) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

FRITZ! Box 7590 ZE Router. Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Devialet Expert 250 Pro

Description Of Issue
I was able to to listen music since months without issues, except the odd “audiofile loading slowly” issue. However this issue lost a bit of annoyances (error appears less frequently) since I had installed the FRITZ! Box 7590 ZE Router a couple of weeks ago. After the error message reappeared this week a couple of times, and after reading a post on Devialet chat to deactivate Tidal on Roon in order to get rid of the “Audiofile loading slowly” issue, I did the same Tueasday evening: ROON Dienste->TIDAL abmelden. I selected TIDAL again and logged in successfully, everything was back to where it was before. Yesterday I tried to use my system as alway, but couldn´t get ROON to actually play the selected album/title. Instead the error message "Playing “artist” Undone (“Rückgängig”) appeared and complete silence.

Thank you for your help!

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Does this same behavior occur if you use “System Output” as the destination zone?
What kind of operating system are you using? Windows/MacOS/Linux?

Hi Noris,

I am not sure what you mean? A screenshot might help, too. I have the German version of ROON, where should I select/check what? Could you please provide a more descriptive information.

I am using Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13 9370. Intel Core i7-8550U CPU @1.80GHz 1.99 Ghz. The laptop is solely dedicated for the ROON system. I haven´t touched or changed any parameters, which worked just fine until I had deactivated Tidal and reactivated it. Your SW is providing a switch for doing so. It really shouldn´t cause the issue I am facing now. Could you do me a favour and provide me a couple of possible approaches (each descriptive as possible) as we have quite a time difference between our communication? Thank you very much.

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Sure. Let’s take a look at the following (note, all blue links below are click-able):

Can you upload a screenshot of the message?

What is the exact album you are trying to play, is the behavior the same on multiple albums?

How are your DNS Servers set up on the router? We have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS.

You can select “System Output” in the Zone Picker after you enable it in Roon Settings -> Audio. Playing to this zone should be playing to your Windows speakers.

You can try clearing the TIDAL cache:

• Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

If you have tried all the above steps and the issue is still the same, please reproduce the behavior and note the exact local time + date when this issue occurs (e.g. 12:16PM on 12/6/19) and let me know the timestamp.

Any album

My Devialet is connected via ethernet. Not sure what you mean with “DNS”

Don´t know, why you are questioning my setup, as it worked before. I am pretty sure, that my system, which worked without any issue, is ok. The likelihood, that your new Roon version is somehow beta is much higher. Please therefore check on your side.

Thank you.

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

I just tried starting Roon Radio off this artist on my end and I’m not seeing any issues. Can we proceed with some of the further troubleshooting I mentioned above?

I can´t hear the YouTube audio, after selecting “System Output”

I moved the cache folder to my desktop.

Selected my Devialet as source and still nothing at 7.12. 02:02 pm. Same error message as before:

When I then select System Ouput, it still doesn´t play any audio, I am afraid.

Any feedback?

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Thank you for that additional information.

Apologies if I was not clear here, I meant for you to select “System Output”, which should direct the music to your laptop speakers. If you try playing the artist to your laptop speakers, do you hear any output?

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Please let me know if you are able to play to your laptop speakers using system output in Roon, and I’ll check to see if the diagnostics report was delivered on my end as well, thanks!

Hi,

I wasn´t able to play my laptop speakers using system output in Roon - I had already informed you about it, with my previous reply. Could you please kindly read all of my reply (see screenshots below)?

It would be great, if we could get this solved soon. Can you please provide me with an access to the previous stable ROON version or could you please remotely log on to my system and solve this issue? I reall ywould like to listen to music again.Thank you for your help.

I was able to listen to the You Tube audia via my system speakers and also Roon Tidal via the system speakers, when I selected the “System Output” zone.

Hello @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Thank you for clarifying this aspect, apologies I asked again because it wasn’t clear in your previous message. It looked like you were trying to output youtube content via Roon which is not possible, so this clarification is appreciated.

Downgrading versions of Roon is not supported due to the reasons mentioned in the article, once you upgrade your database, we cannot revert it, but I can certainly troubleshoot the cause further with you.

Since “System Output” works as expected, we have narrowed down the issue to just the Devialet being the problematic endpoint. I am looking at the logs from your machine, and I am seeing errors when you are trying to output to the Devialet RAAT Zone.

As a follow-up step, can I please request that you try to enable the Devialet “Airplay” zone and let me know if this works as expected? If it does, we can continue troubleshooting the RAAT zone behavior, but you should at least have music playing over airplay in the meantime.

I appreciate your patience through this troubleshooting process, please let me know if Airplay works as expected. Thank you.

Hi Noris,

thank you for your feedback. Before following your advise, would it be possible to delete my roon kernel and install it to another laptop, or would that delete my playlists etc?

Thanks!

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

If you create a Backup of your Database, this preserves the database information stored in Roon. You can still keep Roon on the current PC and if you wish to install it on another PC as a test, you will be presented with an Authorizations message similar to the following:

You can only have one active Roon Core at a time, but you are free to switch between Cores as often as you would like and switching back to the original PC should keep your database intact (but keeping a backup never hurts).

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your feedback.

I tried your approach but coudn´t get the Roon application work on the second laptop RoonServer (C:\Users\IBM\AppData\Local\RoonServer\Application) (Lenovo, Intel Corei5-2520M CPU @ 2,50 GHz, 64 Bit, Windows 7 Professional). When I click the Roon logo I see that something is working, but the ROON GUI wouldn´t open. I am also not prompted with the note regarding “Authorizations”.Should I delete Roon from the first laptop and see how it works after that (though I woul prefer, to being able to switch between different PC´s)? I have meanwhile downloaded the Backup file, as described by you, on a memory stick.

Thank you.

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

It looks like you installed RoonServer, not Roon on the other laptop. RoonServer has no GUI and runs in the system tray.

I suggest trying to install the “All-in-one” version of Roon if you wish to set up Roon on the other PC, it’s listed as “Roon” on our downloads page (not RoonServer):
https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

You can also exit out of RoonServer if you don’t plan to use it. If you already opened it, it would be listed in the system tray (next to volume icon in bottom right) and you can right-click it -> quit. You might need to click on the “up” arrow to reveal hidden icons there.

Hi Nris,

Not sure, if you receive my previous emails, as I couldn´t see them in the Support email string:

Inline-Bild

Thanks,

Thomas

Am Samstag, 14. Dezember 2019, 10:58:30 MEZ hat Thomas Kuehnel XXXXXX@yahoo.com Folgendes geschrieben:

Hi again,

I have unfortunately heavy dropouts using Air. This is no solution at all. Could you please get back to me asap as this is now the second week and weekend (!) without music? That´s not good…

Thanks.

Am Freitag, 13. Dezember 2019, 21:21:06 MEZ hat Thomas Kuehnel XXXXXX@yahoo.com Folgendes geschrieben:

Hi Noris,

I installed ROON, downloaded the Air app from Devialet and activated Air as zone. It shows the audio graphs moving, also my Devialet automatically switched to AIR but I can´t hear music.

When I select System Output as zone, I can hear the same music via the laptop speakers.

Inline-Bild

Hello @Thomas_Kuhnel,

No, I haven’t received any of the emails you attached to this message. The only way to respond to us would be on Community via the support thread (here’s a direct link: ROON not playing selected music. Error message: "Playing "artist" Undone" (initial German error message "Playing XXX Rückgängig")).

That’s very strange, I am not aware of any Deviaet Air issues. There is however some reports that Devialet via RAAT might exhibit the “Slow loading track” behavior (Audio file loading slowly since Devialet RAAT) but as I mentioned no reports I’ve recently seen for Air.

Is the behavior the same if you connect your Devialet via WiFi instead of Ethernet? I have seen some reports that connecting via WiFi has helped as well as connecting through a non-gigabit switch. You may also want to reach out directly to Devialet with your report.

I am a disappointed that you seem to delegate this issue now to Devialet.

Description Of Issue - Update

1. I had no major issues with Roon RAAT until shortly after the new release.The only issue was the sometimes appearing error message “An audio file is loading slowly”.

2. I wanted to get the Roon RAAT issue solved, instead you suggested a workaround via Devialet AIR, which obviously didn’t work. (The Air issue I am experiencing now (extreme heavy dropouts, which make listening a painful experience, is very different to the “Slow loading track” behavior (no music at all, which is very different to dropouts) The respective error message " “An audio file is loading slowly” is also not displayed now, when I try to use Air now.)

3. It is quite obvious an issue, which appeared after the new Roon release. I did not change or download anything Devialet related. Please therefore don´t forward me to Devialet support.

4. I am now almost two weeks without music. I even had to celebrate my birthday without decent music!

Please get my Roon RAAT working - at least back to where it was prior to the last release of Roon RAAT. Thank you.

Hello @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Before we continue further troubleshooting, I wanted to acknowledge your frustration with the issue you are seeing and the lack of progress thus far. Although we have not gotten to the bottom of the issue just yet, your testing has given us some valuable insight into the current state of your setup.

I consulted with the Roon technical team regarding your support ticket, and they recommended that we test your setup using only local content, removing Tidal from the equation. Since we are not receiving widespread reports of similar issues, we need to understand what makes your setup different and this test will help us further narrow down those possibilities.

To run this test, we recommend that you temporarily disable your Tidal account in Roon by navigating to the Menu > Settings > Services > Tidal screen and clicking “Disable”.

Afterwards, please try playing local content to the “System Output” zone as well as the Roon Ready/RAAT input on your Devialet. If you encounter an error, please note the track that you were playing as well as the local time that the error occurred and share that information with us in this thread.

I appreciate your patience through this troubleshooting process, please do let me know the above information when possible, thank you.