ROON not playing selected music. Error message: "Playing "artist" Undone" (initial German error message "Playing XXX Rückgängig")

Hi Noris,

I disabled Tidal as you had recommended.
Both System Output and via Roon Raat worked:

9:50 pm Couln´t play via Roon Raat. Pls. see error:

“This station couldn´t get played. Its address might have changed or it is temporarily not available.”

Error message: “This station can´t get played. Its address might have changed or it is temporarily not available.”

Hello @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Thank you for running those tests, it is much appreciated!

Ok, so we have confirmed that local content works as expected in the current setup. Local content doesn’t reach out to the external network, so I believe the issue might be due to external network traffic reaching the Core.

I just tried on my end to play the same station, and I am not seeing any issues on my end with playback, so it appears your Core might not be properly accessing certain external streaming links.

This brings me back to one of the points I raised at the beginning of the thread, I believe we should investigate the DNS aspect further:

Sometimes ISP-provided DNS servers are unreliable. DNS stands for Domain Name Service and they are the facility which translates website links into IP addresses on the external network. I wonder if this is the case for you here as well.

I kindly request that you next try to change the DNS servers located on your Fritzbox, there is a guide from the manufacturer on changing DNS located at this link and instructions on how to access the Fritz User Interface can be located here.

Can you please try updating the DNS servers on your end to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, re-enable TIDAL and verify if that helps with the streaming issues on your end?

As always, thank you for your patience through this troubleshooting process and do let me know how the DNS change goes or if you have any further questions.

Hi Noris,

thank you for this useful information. I followed your instructions and set the router accordingly:

Should I leave theremaining setting unchanged:

DNSv6-Server

"Vom Internetanbieter zugewiesene DNSv6-Server verwenden (empfohlen)
Andere DNSv6-Server verwenden

Bevorzugter DNSv6-Server
Alternativer DNSv6-Server"

or change it, too?

The music is playing now via Roon RAAT, which is a real relieve. I hope the odd “An audio file is loading slowly” issue is not causing troubles again…

NB: I can´t activate AIR.

Thank you very much.

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Glad to hear that the DNS changes helped with the issue!

If you wish, you can change these as well, I see that Google lists the following IPv6 DNS servers in their docs:

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

As for this issue:

Are you by any chance using the Devialet Air driver app as well? Please see our Devialet Air Documentation, specifically this part:

Configure the AIR driver appropriately, or disable it.

When using Roon’s built-in AIR support, the AIR driver is not involved. However, when the AIR driver is streaming to the device, the device is not available for streaming from Roon.

If you don’t plan to use the Devialet AIR driver after switching to Roon’s implementation, feel free to disable it or uninstall it completely.

If you do plan to switch back and forth between Roon and the driver, be sure to enable this setting:

This will prevent the driver from taking control of the Expert when the Expert powers up, which can interfere with Roon’s control of the device. This step should be repeated on all computers in your household that have the AIR driver enabled.

Hi Noris,

Just to let you know, that I had today again intense “An audio file is loading slowly” issues. That´s really odd, but also happened before. Everything was running perfetly smooth yesterday. And different today in the morning. At the moment I can hear again without issues.I haven´t changed anything in parallel, which might have caused this.I even inserted the Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses as advised earlier. had not a real impact, I am afraid.

I won´t be able to check anything in the near future, as I will be on holidays. Have a wonderful X-mas and a happy New Year´s Eve.

Thomas

1 Like

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Thanks for the update here!

I wonder if perhaps you had two separate issues here? One with the DNS and then the known one for Devialet (Audio file loading slowly since Devialet RAAT)?

For the Devialet-specific one, users have mentioned that using WiFi or a non-gigabit switch helps.

In either case, do let me know how it goes and happy holidays to you as well!

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your reply. I had read through this Audiofile loading slowly thread. However; is there a guide how to set-up “WiFi” (We unsuccessfully tried to get Devialet Air running) or how to set up for a non-gigabit switch (I have to admit, that I even don’t know, what that is).

Thank you!

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Did you by any chance see this documentation from Devialet? I’m seeing instructions listed in it that discuss how to configure the DAC for WiFi:

Gigabit switches refer to the maximum speeds achievable through the switch. We have not tested this aspect in-depth, but on the “Audio file loading slowly” thread there have been reports that switches which support a maximum speed of 100 megabits help with file loading slowly issues on Devialet DACs. These are typically branded as “Fast Ethernet” switches, not “Gigabit” switches and here is one example of such a switch:

Hi Noris,

Thank you. How/where would I add this “fast ethernet switch”? Somewhere at my router?

Thanks,
Thomas

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

The switch would go in between the Router and the Devialet DAC. Router -> Fast Switch -> Devialet DAC. As I mentioned above, this suggestion is based on the user’s findings in the thread and we have not personally tested it in the lab, but others customers have mentioned that it has helped.

Hi Noris,

Do you know, between which existing connections (pls. see the folowing picture: connected are far left “DSL”, LAN2, LAN3 and LAN4) and the router the “fast ethernet switch” would need to be connected?

Thank you,
Thomas

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

It doesn’t look like the image you uploaded went through properly, please use these instructions to upload a screenshot to this site.

I haven’t previously seen a DSL port before, it typically does not matter which Ethernet port you use on unmanaged switches. Is the DSL port the same size as the LAN ports?

Thomas Kühnel,
take LAN port 1 to connect.

Thank you Axel, but I need to bridge the LAN cable from my router to the Devialet via the TP thernet switch. I meanwhile tried it and found the LAN cable going to my Devialet- and connected that one to the TP and a new LAN cable from the router to the TP switch. I wasn´t sure if I should only connect that “Devialet LAN cable” or additional/all to the TP switch.

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

The picture came through this time. I believe the DSL is only for telephone connection as it has 3 phone jacks next to it. I would try either the WAN or LAN1 port on the switch for the link to your router. If you want to confirm it works, you could try plugging one of the LAN2-LAN4 cables to a PC and verify if you have internet connection (with WiFi on the PC off).

Hi Noris,
good that you received it this time.

I explained my approach earlier to Axel: " I meanwhile tried it and found the LAN cable going to my Devialet- and connected that one to the TP and a new LAN cable from the router to the TP switch. I wasn´t sure if I should only connect that “Devialet LAN cable” or additional/all to the TP switch."

However after a while I again received the odd audifile loading slowly message. I had connected the TP-ethernet switch with 5 instead of 8 ports, as I only need one for the LAN going to the Devialet.But that shouldn´t be the reason for the ongoing issue, correct?