Roon not playing when application is first launched

Hi, Roon had been working fine up until about a week ago. Now, whenever it is running, I can periodic crashes of my machine. Basically, the music keeps playing but my entire system has frozen. I have to do a hard reset (power button) as even ctrl-alt-del doesn’t work.

I am using Windows 7, 64-bit. Plenty of RAM (64GB). Doesn’t seem to correlate with whatever else I am doing. Playing out via drivers to a Manhattan DAC.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

@support

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ----- Thank you for the feedback! The insight is very appreciated!

Moving froward, may I very kindly ask you to provide me with the following information in regard to the crashes you are reporting to us. Please see below.

1. What settings are you using when stream to mentioned endpoint? Having screenshots of your “Playback” tab (found in “device settings”) would be great.

2. How often does this crashing behavior occur (every hour, twice a day, etc.)?

3. Is there a specific file format or bit rate you are streaming (consistently) when this issue occurs?

4. My assumption is that this is a new behavior that was not present in the past. Have there been any changes made to your setup (besides the OS update) since noticing this behavior? No detail is too small.

5. If you were to bypass the Manhattan DAC (temporarily of course) and play directly out of the internal speakers on the Win7 device from Roon, does the system still crash?

-Eric

Thanks Eric.

Here are answers to your questions:

1. What settings are you using when stream to mentioned endpoint? Having screenshots of your “Playback” tab (found in “device settings”) would be great.
    I’ve included screenshots (2 since they wouldn’t fit on one screenshot). I use ASIO settings for the DAC. Under General and Zone Grouping tabs for Device Setup it is all default.

2. How often does this crashing behavior occur (every hour, twice a day, etc.)?
    Seems to happen daily.

3. Is there a specific file format or bit rate you are streaming (consistently) when this issue occurs?
    No, at all bit rates and formats.

4. My assumption is that this is a new behavior that was not present in the past. Have there been any changes made to your setup (besides the OS update) since noticing this behavior? No detail is too small.
    **Yes, this is new. I did have to reinstall by DAC drivers recently because the DAC was acting weird. Seems to have started after that. I also notice that often right after I open Roon and try to play back audio, Roon will “cycle” through all songs on an album without playing them. I then go into Device Setup, save settings, without making changes, and then it works.

5. If you were to bypass the Manhattan DAC (temporarily of course) and play directly out of the internal speakers on the Win7 device from Roon, does the system still crash?
    Haven’t been able to try this yet. I will give it a try unless there’s something from the info I provided above that gives you a possible solution.

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions both are appreciated.

Moving forward, based on the above I am not seeing anything that indicates what is triggering this issue in terms of settings. However I am indeed, curious about this statement:

" I did have to reinstall by DAC drivers recently because the DAC was acting weird. Seems to have started after that. I also notice that often right after I open Roon and try to play back audio, Roon will “cycle” through all songs on an album without playing them. I then go into Device Setup, save settings, without making changes, and then it works."

• When you say the DAC was acting “weird”, what exactly were you noticing in terms of the behavior?

• When you notice this cycling behavior, my assumption it is when you are streaming to the Manhattan correct? Furthermore does this behavior happen every time you launch the application? If you let the system sit for a few minutes after launch, does it stream correctly or fail?

Please due let me know when you are able to test via the internal speakers on the i7 as I am trying to understand which “variable” here could be causing this crashing behavior on the machine. Depending on the outcome of this test, It may be a good idea to also test with the mentioned driver uninstalled, but let’s hold off on that for now :microscope:

-Eric

Thanks Eric.

The DAC was acting “weird” because it wouldn’t let me make changes on the DAC itself (i.e., filters). Based on this the company had me uninstall and reinstall drivers.

Cycling: it doesn’t happen every time I launch but I did try waiting and if I wait for at least a couple of minutes, I don’t get the cycling behavior.

I am testing now via internal speakers. So far so good but the crashes are so unpredictable that I may not know until I play Roon for a while (hard to do currently since work has been busy!).

Would it be helpful to try uninstalling and reinstalling the DAC drivers? If so, do I do this while Roon is installed or do I uninstall Roon first?
Thanks.

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ---- Thank you for touching base with me! The clarification and update from your testing are very appreciated!

Moving forward, this is how I would like you to approach the next set of troubleshooting exercises. Please perform the following in this order:

• Please continue to keep an eye/ear on how things behavior via the internal speakers of the i7. I want to be certain that there are no crashes when the DAC is being bypassed temporarily.

• If possible, do you have another DAC that can be mounted to the Windows machine just to see how things respond with another USB device in the chain, that isn’t the Manhattan?

• Try to reinstall the DAC drivers for the Manhattan. Roon does not need to be uninstalled/reinstalled but I would make sure that it is not in open/active state when performing this task :wink:

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Hi Eric, a quick update. Tried everything below: No more crashing! But, still Roon often won’t play when I first start, even if I wait a few minutes. If I go into Device Settings and save settings (even though I made no changes), then it works fine.

-Steve

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ---- Thank you for following up with me! The update is very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to have our team take a closer look into this behavior you are still experiencing. Can you please reproduce the issue/behavior and note the time(s) when it occurs.

“…Roon often won’t play when I first start, even if I wait a few minutes. If I go into Device Settings and save settings (even though I made no changes), then it works fine.”

After you have provided me with the requested time stamps, I will then enable diagnostics on your account. This action will automatically generate, and then upload a diagnostics report containing logs from your system to our servers.

-Eric

Thanks Eric. Here’s what I found:

Start Roon. Try to start playing at the following times without success (just cycles rapidly through all songs on album without actually playing anything):
1 min, 2 min, 5 min, 10 mins

I have to go to Device Setup and then exit Setup and then it will play.

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback.

As mentioned, I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account so we can have a closer look into this behavior you are experiencing. Once the device hosting your Roon core comes online next the report should be automatically uploaded to our servers.

-Eric

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ---- I wanted to touch base with you as it looks like the mentioned diagnostics report never made it to our servers :head_bandage: I have been keeping an eye out for them over the last two days and they have yet to come in.

I just tried testing this function in house by setting up a “test account”, enabling diagnostics on it, and had no issues. In the interest of expediting this process, would you kindly please reproduce the issue once more, note the time the error occurs (i.e issue occurred @ 9:30pm EST), and then use the instructions found here to upload us a set of your Roon logs.

-Eric

Hi Eric, I have only been able to use Roon once since you set up the diagnostics and, of course, it worked fine that one day. I will be able to use it again over the weekend.

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ---- Thank you for touching base with me!

I just checked our servers, and it looks like the diagnostics report has made it to us. I am going to be passing this information over to our techs for evaluation, but if you happen to observer any more issues with playback please due let me know when they occur.

-Eric

Hi, the issue just recurred (8:20 PM EST). Tried to play tracks and they cycled through album without playing.

1 Like

Thanks @Stephen_Kimmel!

-Eric

An update: it’s happened a few more times. Most recently today, 11/22 at 11:18 AM EST. Thanks.

Hi @Stephen_Kimmel ---- Thank you for your patience while we have been looking into the reported behavior for you.

Moving forward, I have setup a meeting with our tech team, plus one of our senior developers to discuss this issue you have been experiencing with your Roon setup for further feedback. In the mean time, I would like to propose the following test to see if we can trigger a change in behavior here. Please see below for instructions.

• Before anything, please create a backup of your current Roon database.

• Once you’ve created the back up of your Roon database please close all active instances of the application and reboot the machine hosting your Roon core.

• When the machine hosting your core is powered back up I would like you to please test with a new RAATServer folder in place.

• Your “RAATServer” folder will be in the same directory as your Roon database
    • Rename the entire RAATServer folder to RAATServer_old
  • Once you have renamed your “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_Old”, please relaunch the application, and confirm if you are still experiencing the issue.

-Eric

Hi Eric, I can’t find the RAATServer folder. Under my Database folder I have the following folders: Orbit, Cx, Registry, Core, Cache. There are raatserver files in my Registry/Core folder and there is a file call RAATServer.exe and RAATServer.exe.config under the Application folder. Which ones, if any, should I delete?

Thanks.

RAATServer is a separate folder, in the same directory as your Roon folder. So you’ll see:

/Roon/Database
/RAATServer

The latter is the one Eric is referring to.

Thanks, I found it! Tried this and problem still persists. Thanks for you continued support to try to figure this out.