Roon not recognizing new computer as a playback device

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS 10.15.1/2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7/ [Roon 1.7 (Build 511)

Networked via WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Yamaha DAC, A-U671

Description Of Issue

I just bought a new MacBook. I loaded Roon onto it. It accesses the core just fine. An it functions just fine. Except that Roon isn’t recognizing it as a playback device… and so, I cannot listen to Roon through it. I’ve tried restarting my machines and the WiFi. Didn’t work. The playback device is running Mac OS 10.14.6.

Hi @jlo,

If you disable the firewall on the Mac is there any change?

I will check. I don’t run the firewall… but disabling it is an excellent suggestion.

The firewall was not on.

Thanks for checking that, @jlo.

Was Roon installed fresh on this device or was it recovered as a part of this backup? When you set up the MacBook did you use anything like Migration Assistant or a Time Machine backup (even if Roon was installed fresh)?

It was installed fresh. Didn’t use a managing app or program.

Are you using a remote or accessing Roon through the Mac?

Accessing Roon through the Mac.

OK, if you are using a DAC, make sure it is plugged in and powered on. Try system output which will be a default output to whatever device the Mac makes sound through. Obviously these need to be enabled in Roon.

I am using a DAC. It’s one of a few playback devices. What’s weird is that I have the computer the core is on, and 2 other computers with Roon on them. The core sees those, as well as the DAC and my smart phone and my wife’s iPad. As for this new computer, after loading Roon it, the core doesn’t see it.

Hi @jlo,

To clarify, this new Mac is not being used as the Core, but just a remote/endpoint, correct?

Are you using this new Mac with a DAC attached or just the System Output? If you have a DAC you could attach via USB does it show up at all when connected to this device?

Correct. The new Mac is being introduced purely as a playback device. No, the new Mac doesn’t have a DAC attached.

Is the mac instance set up as a private zone?

No. It’s not. Thank you for offering suggestions.

1 Like

Hi @jlo,

Do you have a DAC that you can attach? I ask because this might help us better understand where the issue is stemming from. There are some cases where, when a new Mac is setup, it can be conflated with an existing Mac setup, so this type of test will help us determine if that is the case here or if this Mac is just being blocked from showing up at all.

Either way, can you share some screenshots of Settings > Audio so we can take a look?

Thanks!

A secondary issue arose which is the Mac which holds the core crashed yesterday. I’ll be taking it in to the Genius Bar on Sunday. So, I’ll be doing a reinstall of the core from a back-up either on that machine or on another. Hopefully, a re-install will resolve the issue of introducing the new Mac into the network.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.