Roon not scanning external HDD and not seeing KEF LS50 Wireless

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

macOS Sierra/Mac mini 2.4GHz 4GB memory with Iomega firewire external HDD/Roon v1.6 build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Ethernet to Netgear router Orbi base

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

KEF LS50 Wireless speaker connected to same wifi network via Orbi satellite

Description Of Issue

First issue: Roon doesn’t scan my external HDD (Iomega HDD connect via Firewire)
Second issue: Roon doesn’t see my KEF LS50 wireless

Hello @Vincent_Bourget,

Have you made sure to add your external HDD to Roon Settings -> Storage as a watched folder? The connected HDDs typically show up on the side bar when adding new watched locations. If it does not show up, can you please share a screenshot by using these instructions?

As for the KEFs, can you try temporarily connecting them via Ethernet to the primary router to see if there is any change in behavior? If you connect the Mac via Ethernet as well, does that help at all?

– Noris

Yes the external HDD does show up on the side, and I have selected the relevant folder from that HDD as a watched folder

Vincent

Hi @Vincent_Bourget,

Thanks for letting me know the HDD showed up as expected. As for the KEFs are those still missing or has plugging them in via Ethernet triggered any change in behavior? Are they on the newest firmware? You can use the KEF Control app to check for updates.

– Noris

Well the HDD showed up and is selected as a watched folder, but Roon still doesn’t scan it.
It is like Roon doesn’t do any scan, whatever folder I choose to watch in the external HDD, even when I try to “force re-scan”

Vincent

Hi @Vincent_Bourget,

Can you share a few screenshots of what the drive looks like in Roon? You can upload screenshots to this site by following these instructions (<-clickable link).

How is the External hard drive formatted (NTFS/exFAT/FAT32/HFS+)? You can use these instructions to check the Hard drive format.

Do you see any of the drive contents in Roon? Are you able to access these files properly from OSX finder? Are the files perhaps showing up in Roon’s Skipped Files section? Does rebooting the Core machine change anything?

– Noris

Hi,
Please see attached a few pics. When adding the relevant folder from my external hdd (iomega) within the roon/settings/storage, I can easily access the folder and drill down to each artist and their albums.

The hdd seems in good condition, it is not full, and I can access it from the mac finder and play any music through iTunes directly from it.

Vincent

Hi @Vincent_Bourget,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots.

Are any of these files showing up in Roon’s Skipped Files by any chance? If you try to copy one folder to the local HDD do the files show up as expected?

I also see that the HDD is showing up as “External RAID Media”, is this drive using a certain RAID configuration?

–Noris

Hi,
I have checked: Nothing in the skipped files.
I have copied a few artists folders in the local hdd on the mac mini, added these location as a watched folder: still no scan from roon, even when trying force rescan.
The external hdd is not configured as raid
Vincent

Hi @Vincent_Bourget,

Thanks for giving that a try. It is certainly strange that the files are not showing up even on the OSX local HDD. I have two follow-up suggestions here:

1. Can you please send me a small sample of a few of these files that are not showing up? I would like to try to import them on my end. The best way to get these files over to me would be through a shared Dropbox/Google Drive/ Send.firefox.com link.

2. Can I please ask you to manually send me a copy of the logs from you Core by using these instructions? The best way to get them over would be using the same methods from step #1.

Once I have both of these items we can proceed with troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Please find below the link for your point #1
Download “Send-Archive.zip” with Firefox Send: simple, safe file sharing

and for you point #2:
Download “Logs.zip” with Firefox Send: simple, safe file sharing

Vincent

Hi @Vincent_Bourget,

Thank you for sending those files over. I was able to sucessfully import the sample files you uploaded into Roon on my side, so I believe the issue is specific to your Core.

I took a look over the log files that you submitted and I am seeing quite a few errors there, so I have gone ahead and created a ticket for you and looped in our QA team on this case.

I have asked them to review the submitted logs + this case and I will be sure to reach out again to you once I have some feedback from them. Thanks in advance for your patience here!

– Noris

Hi @Vincent_Bourget,

Thank you again for your patience while our technical team has been looking into this issue for you.

I spoke with our team today regarding their evaluation of the logs from your install. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database. In either way, it is suggested that you set your old database aside by using the following instructions:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon database
  • (Optional) Restore from Roon backup

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

– Noris

Thanks, I will try this.
Another piece of information: I had previously installed roon (as a trial) more than a couple of years ago on this computer, and at that time I had decided not to continue (as I had issues with lost Titles on Tidal).
I am not 100% I had deleted from the computer everything that was roon related, at that time. Could it be an issue?
Vincent

Hi @Vincent_Bourget,

I don’t think that the older version of Roon is the issue here.

As mentioned in my previous post, this type of error happens when data being read from your hard drive is different than the data written.

This can occur if the Core is forcefully powered off, there is a power surge and the data did not complete the writing process or if the drive itself had an issue when writing the data to it.

In any case, you should start fresh using the previous instructions I outlined, and once you have done so please let me know so that I can check the new log set if things are still not performing as expected.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.