Roon not seeing NAS when connected to iMac

Followed the steps and ROON gives this message?

I theirs using the NAS name and password and the iMacs name and password and both times I got the message Could not connect to share: unauthorized?

@Artez_Eugene - That would be the login info for your iMac, not for the share since the iMac is mounting the share itself.

Can you try to match the capitalization of the letters (using DS116 instead of ds116)? Do you by any chance have a password to log in to your iMac? You would need to enter it underneath in the Password field. If that doesn’t work I would try the IP address of your Mac instead of the hostname, from the screenshot you can try this:

smb://192.168.0.8/DS116_603NOV17

Please let me know if that works.

Thanks,
Noris

No password for Mac

I would give it a try using the IP address directly:

smb://192.168.0.8/DS116_603NOV17

Other than trying that directly, if you have any firewalls or antivirus software, I would try to temporarily disable it to see if there’s any change, and also verify that the username for the imac is actually imac and not something else (or an empty username even), you can check this in OSX System Preferences -> Accounts, there are some instructions available here for that.

I recently had a case where the username was different than the account name that shows there (Network Share: Unauthorised? [Solved - Login Credentials]) so it would be good to check this info.

Thanks,
Noris

Ok found this:

However when I go to finder there the NAS is and Audivarnia sees it and accessed it with no issue?

@Artez_Eugene - That’s not a good sign if your iMac is saying the share is unavailable, that could be a reason why this is not working.

I am also seeing that the NAS folders are not just DS116_603NOV17, that’s the share name but the folder names are 16BIT_MUSIC/24BIT_MUSIC/DSD_MUSIC/ect. and you would need to add these into the Mac’s Sharing Windows -> Shared Folders.

If this process is too complex, maybe we should take a few steps back and just set the NAS as a reserved IP in your Router and connect it directly via Ethernet.

You can usually access the router’s configuration page by navigating to 192.168.0.1 and using the credentials admin/admin or admin/password. There should be a manual for the specific model on how to set it up, or you can call Spectrum and ask for them to walk you though on how to set a reserved IP for the NAS to ensure it doesn’t change.

If you have an Arris router, you can use the instructions similar to this guide to set it as a reserved IP and would be a bit better in my opinion as then the Mac can be powered off and you will still be able to access that share from another computer (the way we are doing it now is through the iMac so it has to be powered on to access that share).

Please let me know if my suggestions help.

Thanks,
Noris

Agreed I only have the one system and will never access the NAS or share the NAS. I do have an Apple airport express that if possible to connect to the router and set up a separate network for the NAS and IMac would be great! Here’s the router from the cable company

@Artez_Eugene - I have found the manual for your Router listed here:

Please give page #75 on the PDF a read (listed as page #63 on the manual’s bottom right-hand corner)

I would not recommend the Airport Express to handle the SMB communication as we have seen unsatisfactory sharing behaviors from Airport devices. So just to reiterate the steps you should do in my opinion:

1. Connect your NAS into your Techicolor router
  2. Go into the Techicolor config page (192.168.0.1) with username “admin” and password “password”
  3. Go to Admin Tool -> Connected Devices -> Edit -> Configuration -> Reserved IP and give the NAS a reserved IP address that falls in the same subnet range ex 192.168.0.200 and it will never change
  4. Go back into Roon and add the “Network Share Location” as smb://192.168.0.200 with the username and password
  5. Save and test to see if everything works

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

I think I have the same problem see: my topic here

I think something has changed either in Mac OS or in the NAS frimware. In my case I also suspected something was wrong with caching of the share name (In my case //NAS4/Music) so I shut down Roon, renamed the share name on the NAS, started Roon, removed the storage location in Roon, restarted Roon and added the new named folder as storage location. After that It started scanning but after about 300 of the 32000 tracks it stopped completely and also I could not access the files through finder anymore,. A computer restart fixes this. If I restart Roon after that error It will say something like share or network not available.
This pattern repeats itself with every thing I have tried in the last 3 days. After a lot of tries I can get it to start scanning the music folder but It will always freeze the number of scanned tracks at a certain number and than nothing happens, not in Roon but also not in all other Osx software. If I do not start Roon there is no issue with accessing the Nas.

Take a look at this I noticed this am that when I open finder it sees the DSD drive however when a clip the + to add a shared folder and the pop up box open that screen dosent see the NAS drive

I have tried everything suggested with no luck

Did you put your NAS back on the network and set address reservation, as both @noris and I have counseled?

According to your latest post, it doesn’t look like you did.

1 Like

@Artez_Eugene - Please give this a try:

Thanks,
Noris

Hmm, seems like this should work, thereby avoiding having to set static IPs or address reservation. Did you change the file address in Settings->Storage after you connected to Mac. They won’t be the same as when the NAS was on the network.

Above where you stated to change the settings - storage after connecting to the Mac which unit are you referring to the Mac or the MAS drive?

I did this and it lasted a day and the NAS had a new IP address which means re sinking 13k plus albums…

I was referring to the old address of the NAS in Roon’s Settings->Storage. Really attaching a Network Addressable Storage directly to the Mac is not the way to go. I’ve never even thought to try it.

This tells me that there is a problem with the Mac seeing your directly attached NAS, before Roon is even involved.

What do you mean it lasted a day? Please elaborate.

I don’t think it would have re-synced those albums if you had used the IP that was currently in use by the NAS and simply reserved the address.

Why is that when I attach the NAas directly to the MAC Audivarnia sees it and plays from it with no issue?