Roon not showing audio output devices besides networked ones

After a hard drive change I’m having problems with Roon 1.5
All I did was migrate the hard drive info via MacOS restore from backup feature but Roon is unable to see the default system output. It only lists networked devices.
My setup is: Mac Mini i7 mid 2011, 16 GB RAM, running MacOS 10.13.6

Any ideas what’s going on?
Thanks

Hello @Ramhead,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. You mention that you restored the MacOS from a backup, so am I correct in assuming that you didn’t install Roon again and that it was just contained in that backup?

From the screenshot that you have posted it seems to me that there may be a driver issue and something didn’t get reinstalled properly when you restored from the backup. Have you tried rebooting the Mac Mini and the System Output is still failing to show up after doing so? If this is the case you might want to make a Backup of your database and reinstall Roon and restore your Database from that backup. We also have these instructions that may help you when migrating between databases: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Migration

Please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I did restart the computer and I restored from a roon backup. Actually what I did was to create a backup copy within Roon before starting the migration.
After the OS was restored I open Roon and at the login screen, restored the backup copy I had create.

Best,

Alex.

Hello @Ramhead,

Thanks for confirming that you restarted the computer and restored from a Roon Backup. Since the System Output is still not showing up, I’d like for you to try to refresh your RAATServer to see if that has any change in the issue. To refresh the RAATServer, please perform the following steps:

• Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder
    The database location that shows RAATServer folder should look something like this:
    57%20PM

Please let me know if that troubleshooting step helps resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi again,

I did follow your instructions but unfortunately it didn’t solve the problem :frowning:

Best,

Alex.

Hello @Ramhead,

Sorry to hear that refreshing the RAATServer has not resolved the issue. You mentioned that you have a backup of your current database saved somewhere safe since the migration, is this still the case? If so I’d like to try a refresh of the entire Roon application. Using similar instructions to my previous post, please perform the following steps:

Note: upon performing this action you will need to restore your database again to retrieve your playlists, edits, ect

• Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder & database
  • See if the System Output shows up now
  • Restore your database from your backup

Please let me know if these instructions work.

Thanks,
Noris

Still showing the networked devices only…

Alex.

Hello @Ramhead,

Thanks for performing the Roon refresh. I am now wondering if the Apple OSX firewall is causing the issues here. Can you please verify that Roon is listed as an exception in your Mac Firewall? You can use these instructions provided by Apple to verify if Roon is listed as an exception, please let me know your findings after doing so:

Thanks,
Noris

If you restored the mac from Time Machine this is likely the issue as roon database will not cope well with this.

My computer’s firewall is off.

I don’t wat to install MacOS again… Time consuming

Hello @Ramhead,

Do you by any chance have any antivirus active on your computer that could be blocking Roon? It may be worthwhile to try and temporarily disabling it if you have one. Other than checking firewall settings and antivirus, my next recommendation would be to reinstall Roon, temporarily set it up without your database, see if it works and then restore from the backup after verifying it’s working.

Thanks,
Noris

… oops… missed where that was already tried. Sorry.

No, no antivirus. I’ve just realized I do have a third party firewall, Little Snitch, which I paused and now Roon works. I have no idea what changed since I also imported the settings I had in my old hard drive. After Roon listed all the local output devices I re-enable the “firewall” and the problem comes back. Now I have to check item by item which is almost as painful as reinstalling the OS…
Thank you all for the help!

Hello @Ramhead,

Glad that we were able to pinpoint the source of the issue! Yes it seems like the third party firewall blocks RAATServer from operating properly, and RAATServer needs proper communication across your network even if the output is a local one (such as System Output). If there is a way to whitelist Roon and RAATServer, I’d definitely look into it.

Thanks,
Noris