Roon not starting up tonight

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC running Windows 10
Remote controlled through iPad Pro.
Synology NAS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
All connected via Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
DCS upsampler.

Description Of Issue
Roon logo running but not starting up. First time ever.

Hi @Cary_Fischer is the logo screen you describe from the server application on the NUC or the iPad remote?

Have you tried any basic troubleshooting like rebooting everything?

Hello @Cary_Fischer, and thanks for your report! Did you run any updates or anything before this issue occurred? Have you rebooted to see if that helps?

Yes, I rebooted the NUK, Router, Modem, DAC. Its odd. I transitioned to my MacBook pro as the core while I figure out what’s happening to this NUK. I also uninstalled Roon and reinstalled it on this NUK. It won’t even get to the login page. I used another iMac, downloaded Ronn and it went right to login and deAuthorize the “other” computer. I also have a backup NUK that uses windows 10 as well. It works just fine.
Each time I try to log in, The black screen with white Room logo just keeps on running. I did notice the last time I shut the NUK down, it did an update to windows 10. I turned off the firewall and all security but no change. It always works flawlessly. I have no idea why the Room App won’t even get to the login page. It just won’t load on this NUK any more. Its an i7 with 2, 1Tb ssd drives and 128mb of ram. Plenty of room for anything. The entire system operates with my MacBook and backup NUK Core no problem. So Im puzzled. I tried to go to a previous version restore but it stated due to recent update there are no restore points??? I can open other programs, Chrome, Explorer and browse the web so its on the network and functioning. It just decided today was the day to go on strike. I always have a backup just for this reason. But I’ve never had to use the option.
Any input is helpful. Thanks

It might well be that the last windows update overwrote the graphics driver, windows update does that a lot.
Install the latest graphics driver from the Intel site, not windows update, and see if that fixes things.

Thanks for the idea. I will get to this tomorrow evening and let you know what happens. I logged on to the intel sight fro where I am and I can see the Graphics downloads. So ill get er done and let you know

thanks

2 Likes

installed new intel graphics, no go
ran audio optimizer, no go
did a repair windows 10, no go
logo just keeps running. it will no longer run on this NUK.
Whats the deal. Downloaded Roon 64 no go
tried downloading Roon 32 bit no go

downloaded core app with explorer, no go
redownloaded with chrome, no go
uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, no go

Ok. I completely erased and reloaded windows 10 pro. Roon now runs. Remote Desktop,connects and tidal and Qbuz logged in
However. I just spent 2 hours trying to find my nas Drive. My MacBook finds it easy. Windows sucks. I know the IP address, used smb, no go
Used same address as Mac, no go
Seriously,you guys can’t write a brows script to find music on the same network… ridiculous.
Any idea how I should go about imputing a network address on the same network sharing the same switch and router to connect my synology NAS Drive. I even synced up my iPad. All good
Can’t find to network address of the NAS. Keeps coming up error
Come on guys’. A simple brows my network for folders in roon???
So?

Hello @Cary_Fischer,

Have you tried using CIFS instead of SMB? That might work better for this situation.

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Lastly, I wanted to clarify your last post, when you say its working on mac, are you seeing the NAS through Roon of through Finder? Same with Windows, is that through Roon or file explorer?

Good evening. The latest development. I have a second NUK. Loaded Roon, set up Remote Desktop, entered the address of the NAS and it connected and scanned the files, tidal and qubuzz up and running and it’s on the network and functioning. Roon core stoped and shut down Roon app once. I restarted and it’s been running fine.

The original NUK must have a problem in Windows 10. Both NUKs are using the same updated windows version so there is some kind of corrupt file somewhere on that NUK. I will completely erase and reformat that system and see if I can bring it back to life. It would just never connect to the NAS. Once I verified on the second system that the NAS address on the network was correct and working. The original NUK rejected the connection. Who knows…
Per haps it’s time to order a dedicated rock from you guys and call it a day. The sooner I get off of Windows, the better.

Hello @Cary_Fischer, that’s a good find! Please let me know if reformating resolves the issue.