Roon Not Streaming to Apple TV 4 [Resolved - Build 233]

Using my Apple TV 3 as an endpoint working just fine. Optical out to a DAC. Latest Apple TV OS.

Apple TV 3 doesnt run TV OS AFAIK

OK. Well whatever software it runs, it is up to date. Just noting in relation to the warning on the forum homepage.

I feel rather foolish because I purchased an ATV 4 last week specifically to use as a Roon endpoint. Really enjoyed it for a few days.

Fool me onceā€¦

Doe anybody know what exactly the problem is with the streaming to the AppleTV?

The AppleTV 4 with 10.2 installed, requires a new kind of device verification (according to MacWorld).

Ah, so this is using AirPlay, not a dedicated streaming App like Plex.
Yes, AirPlay authorization has changed, not even older OSX and iOS devices work anymore.

Any updates on this from Roon?

It looks like someone figured it out a work-around. Hopefully the Roon Devs can locate the loophole. http://blog.doubletwist.com/2017/04/19/airplay-android-to-apple-tv/

If my memory is with me, the rogue amoeba products have similar troubles with that version, but double check that claim

I am testing roon. My apple TV 4 is already updated to tvOS 10.2. Airplay to my older apple TVs is working but not to this device. My airport express Version 7.6.8 is also working.
Setup. When I can test something for you contact me.

Roon Version 1.3 (build 223) stable (64bit)
macOS Sierra Version 10.12.4
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15ā€œ, Mitte 2015) 16GB RAM 2,2GHz i7
Apple TV 4 64GB tvOS 10.2 (14W265)
NAS WD MyCloud 2TB 2249 albums

Issue:
When I try to airplay music to my AppleTV 4 the music is not played. There appears a message on the screen.

tvOS 10.2 introduced a new authentication requirement before Airplay can connect. Roon does not work with tvOS 10.2 at this time. Weā€™re working on supporting the new authentication requirement in new versions of Roon, and will let everyone here know when we have more information.

2 Likes

Apple has updated Apple TV 4th generation to 10.2.1 still dosent work as a zone

Rogue Amoeba has fixed their Airfoil app that had this same issue. First they did this but providing an Apple TV app but now you donā€™t even need that. So they figured out a way around this.

I reverse engineered this stuff and created an easy to use Java library which let you pair with the ATV and return an authenticated socket-connection that can be used the normal way afterwards. The library will be open sourced on github.com in the next days.

If itā€™s not your language, you can use it as a template :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s awesome. Weā€™re not Java based, but having something to look at will save us some time figuring this out. Any chance we can get a sneak peek :innocent: ?

Hey Brian, Iā€™m doing some final cleaning and hope to publish it tomorrow.
I have also just reverse engineered another application, so the ā€œtranscodingā€ shouldnā€™t be too difficult.
Iā€™m not a Roon-user but happy to help somehow.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome Martin.

Here we go: https://github.com/funtax/AirPlayAuth

More details will follow in the next days.
You can simply import the project eg. into ā€œIntelliJ Community Editionā€ and run the example :slight_smile:

Iā€™m the developer of two audio AirPlay-apps and can confirm that once the pairing has been done, the ongoing communication with the AirPlay-receiver is done like before.

Also, there seems to be no reliable way to check if pairing is required, beside checking the mdns-data for ā€œappletvā€ and ā€œpkā€.
Then authentication can also be made on ATVs which have the authentication not enabled, so you can simply always do the pairing in case itā€™s an AppleTV.

Hey folks ā€“ we have updated Roon for the new AirPlay security model.

This change is rolling out in Build 233. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

4 Likes