Roon not working consistently on MacBook Pro

I’m using a MacBook Pro (2.5ghz i7 - 2014) as my Roon Core. Music is stored on a Synology NAS connected to my router. Output device is a Sonore Ultrarendu. I have a 80meg down, 10meg up internet.

I’ve recently returned to Roon after a 6 month absence and must say I love the radio feature and new interface, sound quality also seems to have improved too. Problem is I can’t get it to play music consistently from both Tidal or my library. It starts a song and might play for a minute or so and then it stops and often skips to the next track in the album. I can’t quite recall the error but it was something like “difficulty loading file” - highly annoying as my Roon subscription renewed today and I’m thinking of switching back to Spotify Connect! Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Another observation is that music playback isn’t as instantaneous as it was previously.

Thanks!

Error is “Tidal media is loading slowly. This may indicate a network on connectivity problem.”

Have rebooted Router.

On files error is “an audio file is loading slowly…”

Hi @DILUK_DIAS,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

If you play to a different output device, like the internal speakers of the MacBook, does the same behavior occur?

Sounds like a bandwidth issue. Is your core connected via wireless or wired connection?

Wireless - though wireless router is only 4m from listening position.

Describe Your Setup

• Roon 1.6

• Mac OS 10.14.2, Macbook Pro 2015 16GB Ram, 2.5ghz Dual Core I7

• Music stored on Syndology DS219J NAS

• 10,000 tracks

Additional Details

For some issues, additional details may help us resolve the issue more quickly.

Describe Your Network
(if you’re having an issue that involves networked components)

If your issue is related to your network, let us know the basics of your network. If your system includes networked storage or audio zones, or Roon running as a remote, be sure to include:

• What router are you using? fritzbox 7430
  • None
  • MBP is wireless, everything else is wired into router

Describe Your Media

If your issue is related to playback, let us know what you’re trying to play, specifically:

• FLAC files from Tidal, ALAC files/FLAC files from my NAS
    *Happens with both local files and Tidal
  • Where did the media come from? Self rip and download from commercial services

Describe Your Tidal Setup

If your issue is related to syncing, browsing, or playing Tidal content, please let us know::

• What country your Tidal account is from? UK
  • Hifi (lossless) account

Describe Your Output
Sonore Ultrarendu connected via ethernet to router
Audiolab 8200cdq dac connected via USB

Currently playing through my MBP as output device to see how that works.

Had a similar problem with wireless even though speeds seemed more than adequate (100mbs). Had to move to a hardwired connection via powerline (because core was far from modem). Once I did that things were fine even though reported bandwidth was lowered. Never figured out why it choked when using wireless.

My problem was when using qobuz. Either through their app or roon.

Seems to be stable when playing through system out.

Hi @DILUK_DIAS,

Can you try connecting your Core to the router via Ethernet and let us know if there is any change? As mentioned in our networking guide we always recommend using a wired connection for the Core for optimal performance.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.