Roon Not Working Properly after Update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TS-453 NAS Linux 4.2.8/Roon Core on an SSD/Music on Raid drives

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ARAKNIS Network - wired directly to main smart switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

All network devices:
PS Audio DAC
Blusound Devices
Sonos Devices
All worked fine previously

Description Of Issue

Music on NAS is not found
No Audio Devices are found

Hello @Matthew_Grossman,

Welcome to the forum!

That sounds strange, can I please request that you share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Storage tab and Roon Settings -> Audio tab?

Is the behavior the same if you reboot your Core?

The behaviour is the same after I reboot the core.

Hi @Matthew_Grossman,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots. That’s strange, you should be seeing at least the “System Output” on the Audio tab. Do you mind sending me a copy of your logs via Dropbox / Google Drive? You can use these instructions to access your QNAP logs.

A post was split to a new topic: Database Update Issues

Hi @Matthew_Grossman,

Thank you for sending those logs over, I am looking through them and I don’t notice any error that jump out to me. It is possible that there is an active firewall somewhere in your setup blocking the QNAP, so as a next step can you please try connecting the QNAP to the router instead of to the Araknis switch and let me know if this changes anything?

Unfortunately that made no difference.

Hi @Matthew_Grossman,

Do you by any chance have Open vSwitch enabled in your QNAP configuration or any other firewalls enabled on your QNAP which could be blocking Roon/RAATServer from operating properly?

Hi @Matthew_Grossman,
I am not really sure about this issue and have not seen this behaviour before.

Both of your screenshots seem odd. On the storage settings screenshot should be a number below each storage folder, how many tracks have been imported.
And the audio section should show of course the audio devices.
As your log files indicate no issues and RAATServer is also running, my guess is that this behaviour is somehow network related.

What has been updated, after this issue occurred? Roon Server or the QNAP system?

Some ideas for debugging:
Is it possible to temporarily bypass the smart switch (by using a non-smart one) for testing purposes?
What is used as an access point for the smartphone? Is the access point also connected to the smart switch?
Is the IP address of the smartphone in the same subnet as the core?
Are the music files still in the Multimedia folder (can be checked with QNAP Filestation). do the files appear, when editing the storage entries by reselect the folders?

If all of this does not succeed, I’d try to create a new temporary shared folder (like “RoonTemp”) and change the database location in the Roon Server web interface to this new shared folder.
This will create a new empty database while your old resides on your current directory.
You can switch back to your regular database without any issue afterwards.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: No Audio Devices Show Up

So I gave up and deleted the database and started from scratch. Now for some reason my SSD fills up within 10 min of initializing. It is a 600 Gb SSD so I am not sure why this is happening. Also, I only added a relatively small share for my library.

Ideas?

Hi @Matthew_Grossman,

Can you please upload a new set of logs? Thank you.

Hi @Matthew_Grossman,

It looks like Roon is trying to extract some tracks from the CACHEDEV1_DATA folder, did you by any chance configure the Roon database to be set there?

12/13 14:56:26 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/roonmnt/Multimedia/Hires Music/24_192 The L.A. 4/Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte/Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte - Side 1.aif
12/13 14:56:26 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RoonServer/roonmnt/Multimedia/Hires Music/24_192 The L.A. 4/Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte/Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte - Side 2.aif

Hi @Matthew_Grossman,
I noticed in your logs, that your filesystem on your external disk is displayed as ufsd, which indicates a Windows NTFS filesystem. This is not a native filesystem of your QNAP and I’d recommend strongly to use ext4. ext4 is the default filesystem on Linux systems (and other filesystems are untested…)
You can reformat and initialise the disk as ext4 in the Storage & Snapshot app on your QNAP. !! This will erase all data on your USB-Disk !!

First stop RoonServer in the App Center.
Then open Storage & Snapshot.

See the steps in the Storage and Snapshot app in this short video:

Afterwards start RoonServer again and make sure the database location is properly set to the reinitialised disk.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.